CHAPTER 20

Elli giggles beside me. Max occupies the space on the other side of him. They are playing an intense game of Mario Kart. I've lost track of time since we came into the gaming truck to play. I'm not complaining. Elli is content and I don't feel as anxious anymore. As for Max — I don't know how I'll ever thank him. He's my knight in mucky grease, like when he rescued Alexa and I on the side of the road.

There's no one else in the truck. The party is winding down and most of the kids have already gone home. Elli cries out in victory as he reaches the finish line, leaving Max behind.

"You got me good, little buddy."

Max pouts as if he was affected by this loss. Elli doesn't take notice as he's already gearing up for another round. Someone clears their throat. Max and I startle. Standing at the entrance of the gaming van is Dad and Walker. I leave my spot beside Elli and walk over to them.

"I'm so sorry, we got a bit caught up in something," Dad says.

I was prepared to be angry at Dad for leaving me in charge, but instead I step into his arms. His touch is comforting, but the tighter he holds me the harder it is not to cry. A knot sits in my throat, but as I pull away, I somehow manage to keep the tears at bay.

"It's okay." I nod in Max's direction. "I had a little help."

Dad's eyes follow my gaze, to Max and Elli. I stare up to gauge his reaction to Max. Dad didn't have to deal with the start of the boy-craze phase, but now — he's stuck with it. He lingers for a moment, eyes narrowed on Max, then walks over to them. Dad squares his shoulders and with a very serious voice introduces himself to Max. Right away Max stands, puts the remote down, and shakes Dad's hand.

Walker nudges me. "So, who's the boy? He's cute."

I smack his arm playfully. "That's Max. He's one of Patty's friends."

Walker wiggles his eyebrow in a way that makes me laugh. "You better snatch him up, girl. Before someone else does."

"Oh-my-god, Dad," I whisper.

He chuckles lightly. I'm sure my face is tomato red at this point. I can feel the burn.

"He's just my —uh — friend."

"Sure, he is," Walker teases.

He walks over to Dad and Max. My gaze is stuck on them. All three men have smiles on their faces. I can't see Elli's, his is buried in Dad's leg. I'm not sure what they are saying, the loud video game music is drowning out most of the sound, minus their laughter.

Dad, Walker and Elli, head in my direction.

"We'll take Elli home," Dad says.

He places a hand on my shoulder. I can tell by the pensive look in his eye that he has something to say.

"Dad?" I prompt him.

"I have some news, but we'll talk about it when you get home."

He gives me a reassuring smile, but it still doesn't ease the tension building inside me.

Frowning, I ask, "you can't tell me now?"

"It will be better to tell you at home." He squeezes my shoulder, then let's go.

A million thoughts race through my head. My main concern is Mom. The only thing I can think is that she's up to something and now I'm going to have to fly back and do what she wants. Dread hits me and I don't know how to recover.

"Fine," I say. "I'll be home soon."

"Thank you again, Lennox. You did an amazing job today."

He looks proud of me and I'm unfamiliar with the feeling. Living with mom, even when I did something right, she never smiled or complimented me. My heart swells and I wish I could take all the credit, but Max was the main reason that I didn't crumble.