CHAPTER 19

I stare at the blank inbox on Instagram. Sending a message to the theater profile was probably way out of line, but I did it and it's done. At least I'll be distracted today. I'll be working all day at the park for Monica's brother. I'm looking forward to the extra cash.

Setting the phone next to me on the bed, I lean over, grab my sneakers, and start putting them on.

"Max?" Uncle Rob taps on the door.

"Come in," I say as I slip on my last shoe.

"Hey. The truck is yours today. I'm taking the lady out."

He throws me a set of keys and I catch it with one hand while still leaning over.

"Nice catch," he grins.

I'm relieved to have a car to drive to the park. I was expecting to have to walk. At least I'll have the AC blasting to keep cool. It's a hot one out there today. The app on my phone has been flashing all day with a UV index warning. Summer is in full swing.

"Have you spoken to your mom?" he asks.

I nod. "Yes, she's doing surprisingly well."

Even when I'm not here with Rob, he's always checking in on Mom. He calls at least once a week and I honestly think that's Mom's favorite part of the week.

"I'm glad. I feel bad I haven't talked to her all week, been a little busy."

"I'm sure she understands. Thanks for the keys."

"No prob."

As he turns for the door, I feel an itch to talk to him. The phone call with Dad has been on my mind and I can't tell Mom, not yet anyway. I know if I say something to Rob, he won't spill it to Mom. Anything he and I talk about remains between us. He's told me several times that if I needed someone to confide in, he'll be there, but if it's something life threatening, he won't hesitate to tell her, but this isn't that, so I think I'm safe.

"Dad texted me."

He stops short in his tracks and spins back around to me. His fists are clenched at his side. Dad and uncle Rob, although civil, never saw eye to eye. Things between them went astray after the divorce.

"What did he say?"

I've got Rob's full attention. Uncle Rob has been there through all of it, and I know his advice will make me feel better.

"Just hi, and that he was sorry. I haven't decided if I should respond or not," I say.

He takes a seat next to me on the bed.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes — no — maybe — okay, no. Not really."

It's easy to be honest with him. A little too easy, but I think that's a good thing. I hang my head and stare at my sneakers waiting for him to say something.

"I can't tell you what to do or what not to do, but I can give you a bit of advice. Towards the end of your grandpa's life, I was angry with him. He was the worst out of everyone. He was always disappointed in me never thinking I was good enough. I stopped talking to him for a long time, and then it was too late."

Rob stops for a minute, glances up and stares at the wall across from us, like he's trying to keep it together. I know their relationship was bad. It affected him, a lot, especially when he was growing up.

"I'm not saying your dad is going to die tomorrow. I'm saying think about hearing him out before one day you wake up and that option is no longer available. I regret it every day. The man made me feel like I wasn't good enough, but I regret the last words I ever said to him."