CHAPTER 7

The red head stares at me with a grin so wide it forms dimples on both her cheeks. It's not her who has my attention, it's the short brunette who is fighting with her hair attempting to cover her face. There's something familiar about her, but I can't put a finger on it. Her face is almost fully covered as she awkwardly shifts from side to side.

I clear my throat. "Um, Alexa Bradford?"

The redhead steps forward and raises a hand. She's several inches taller than I am, so I have to look up to make eye contact.

"I don't know what's wrong with her. Margie can vouch for me. She sees me like a hundred times a year with this car. I just had her in the shop two weeks ago."

Poor girl looks defeated. Her eyes heavy and hooded as she stares at the ground kicking an invisible rock.

Come to think of it, I've heard the last name before. I might have worked on her car last summer. Ah, yes. I remember the small indent on the back bumper of the Honda.

"Should I drop you off somewhere or would you rather come to the shop?" I ask.

The redhead giggles while she nudges her friend with her hip, but it doesn't get her more than a glance. I'm not good at reading girls –– not yet anyway, but this one almost seems scared of me.

"We were heading into town," Alexa says, bringing my attention back to her. "We'll just go to the shop with you."

"Okay, let me just hook the car up and we'll be on our way."

I get back in the tow truck and drive it closer, then hook it up to the Honda. Taking extra precaution, I go slow with getting everything set up. It's been a while since I've done this, but I'm positive I remembered all the steps. When I'd go out with one of the older guys at the shop, they would have me practice and stand over me, but this year it's only me, so I've got to take my time.

We have to share the cabin seat, which proves interesting. The brunette grunts as her friend pushes her into the cab of the truck. Once I'm in my seat the brunette scoots over nearly crushing her friend to the door. Alexa nudges her and she finally moves towards the center.

"Be gentle with the old girl, she's got some new merch in the trunk."

My reply dies as, with another push, Alexa causes the brunette's leg to rub against mine. My eyes roam over the pair of enticing legs for a short moment before she slides away, murmuring some kind of apology.

The minute we're on the road Alexa leans over and takes control of the radio.

"Seriously?" Alexa asks me. "You're listening to top forty radio? The Shark is where it's at."

These two remind me a little of Dan and me. Alexa is so like Dan, with her boisterous personality, while the other is more like me, shy and just going with the flow.

I know what station she's referring to. It's usually my go-to while I'm driving, but I wasn't thinking about the music when I first got in.

"Right," she says, her voice tinged with humor. "I know you're secretly waiting for the Jonas Brothers song to come on, it's your favorite."

"You got me," I say in a sarcastic tone. "I'm a sucker for them."

The brunette snorts beside me. I can't help the satisfied grin at my ability to almost break the ice queen. Meanwhile Alexa continues to play with the radio until she finds The Shark. Nirvana comes on and I start humming along as we drive along a long stretch of road back to the shop.