CHAPTER 18

It's an hour into the movie and I haven't been able to enjoy a single second of it. Sitting between Dan and Max was a terrible idea. I'm not worried about Max, but every time he accidentally touches me, I feel a zap of electricity surging through me, and I can't make sense of it. As for Dan, he's got his legs spread and if I move the slightest our legs will touch. That and he keeps on trying to reach for my hand. And not to mention the death glares from Maya.

An idea strikes me. I groan like I'm in pain and grab a hold of my stomach. Max and Dan are the first to turn towards me. I lean back in my seat. Dan's hand comes close to mine, and I pull it away, settling it over my stomach.

"You, okay?"

I shake my head. "I think I ate too much, my stomach hurts so bad," I moan. "I'm going to call my dad and have him—"

"Don't be silly," Max says, leaning into the conversation. "I'll drive you."

My head jerks to him and his face pales. For a second uncertainty swims in his ocean blue eyes. He swallows hard and I watch his Adam's apple bob at the center of his throat. I'm as shocked as he is that he offered. It takes me a second, as I'm too stunned to speak.

"Are you — are you sure? I could ask Alexa."

Dan sits up. In the corner of my eye, I catch him glaring at Max. Not only am I getting between two people in love, but friends too. I can't take it anymore. I'm no longer faking a stomachache, it's real.

"Yeah. It's not a problem."

We lock eyes and I'm stuck there. I think he is too. I wait for him to take it back, to tell me nevermind, only he doesn't. His kindness never ceases to amaze me.

"Sorry." I turn to Dan, only to find Maya staring at me too. "We'll plan another outing soon. I'll see you guys later."

Maya relaxes in her chair, but Dan is so tense the vein in his forehead pops. Max gets to his feet and moves in so that I can go first. I slide over, passing Patty, then Alexa. Alexa glances up narrowing her eyes. I kneel in the aisle and hold onto her arm rest.

"I'm not feeling so good. I'm heading home."

"Do you need a ride?"

"I've got it." Max's deep voice startles me.

Alexa's eyes go wide as they stare up at Max. Of course, she knows I'm lying. She's my best friend. In her mind, Max and I are leaving together because we like each other.

He puts his hand out for me to take. Without questioning his kindness, I reach for it and stand. Alexa's glare is enough to burn a hole right through my skin.

Max touches the small of my back to lead me out of the theater. Over my shoulder I find Alexa grinning like a mad man. She's not letting this one go, and I'm positive I'll be getting a phone call later.

Max and I step out of the theater and into the dim lighting of the lobby, it's then that I release my hand from my stomach and stand a little straighter.

"You knew they liked each other, didn't you?"

He steps in front of me so I can't go anywhere.

"It's not rocket science," I snap. "I see the way Maya glares at me when Dan gives me attention. You act like I'm oblivious to other people's feelings. Newsflash Romeo, I'm not. You think you know me, but I'm not one of those girls that will swoop in on a guy if another girl likes him!"

I rub my temples, angry with myself for going off on him for no reason. I'm tense from the situation with Dan and I honestly didn't mean it this time. I'm still reeling over my conversation with Dad too, but it's no excuse for my behavior.