CHAPTER 8

As if the universe wasn't punishing me enough, it had to throw the boy from the airport into the mix. I've told people off before. Doesn't everybody? But I never expected to come face to face with them again. This felt different. I can't get his face out of my head. He stared at me like I was a monster and maybe I am, but isn't that why I came here? To change that very thing about myself.

I head into the kitchen where my little brother's giggles lure me. As I reach the doorway my phone chimes with an Instagram notification. My heart aches. Chase liked and commented on my personal Instagram. With trembling fingers, I open the app.

Out of all the photos it's the one I uploaded earlier after my makeover.

TheRealCDawson: Beautiful as always. You didn't need to change, you're beautiful either way. Miss you.

My eyes sting, and nose tingles. Trying to keep the tears at bay is so damn hard. This boy already crushed me and now he thinks he can make these kinds of comments on my Instagram. It's my private profile but everyone who is close to me will see this comment.

The world doesn't know that our relationship was a lie, a sham. There are only a few people including the ones who forced us together, AKA our moms, who know the truth. I say the breakup was mutual because it technically was. It was better that we went our separate ways. In the end only I knew that Chase had been seeing other girls in private and I couldn't hold up the charade any longer, especially when my feelings for him hadn't been fake.

Walker and Dad's laughter pull me from my thoughts. Elli screams with excitement and the threat of tears vanish.

"Hey, where's my ice cream?" I ask from the doorway.

Walker lowers his chin, eyes wide, and Dad... I can't read his expression well, it's kind of shook –– yet confused. They give me a once over, from the new hairdo to the glasses. Elli seems to notice the shift in the room and stares at me.

"Ex!"

I'm almost surprised he recognized me, but Elli seems very in tune with what's going on around him. Meanwhile Dad and Walker are still observing me with caution.

"What?"

I suddenly feel self-conscious, like it was a stupid thing to do. Why did I even think that changing my appearance would help with anything? If dad and Walker don't like it, what will everyone else think?

"It's different," Dad says.

"Different good or bad?" My voice trembles.

"It's good, baby girl."

Walker comes over and puts an arm around my shoulder. His smile is contagious, and I mirror his look. All the bad things that happened today have melted away from just entering this house and being with the family members who care most about me.

"Ex, ice cream," Elli says.

Walker urges me forward. Dad stands from his seat next to Elli and throws his arms around me.

"I do love it, Lennox, it was just a bit of a shock," he whispers.

"Thanks Dad."

He pulls away to get a better look at me and then goes in for another hug. I bask in his warmth, the tears building back up. I truly hadn't realized how much I missed Dad until I got here.

If I had walked into my mother's house looking the way I did today she would've had a fit. The blonde on me was a staple for my character Andi, and for me as an actress.

I take Dad's seat next to Elli as Walker brings over the ice cream from the freezer. Elli's bowl is already full. He's got two big heaping scoops of chocolate ice cream with M&M's and whipped cream on top. He reaches across the table for a bag of miniature Swedish fish and holds it up towards me.