CHAPTER 26

I might have started the second kiss for all the wrong reasons, but now that I'm in the moment, everything has changed. His lips are smooth, and his body is warm against mine. I open one eye to check and see if Dan is still spying on us. Of course, he is, so I kiss Max deeper. The deeper I go, the more I lose myself in him.

His large hand drifts upwards, covering the right side of my face. My heart jumps with excitement. We moan in unison and my stomach tightens at how the sound mixes together. The outside world is nothing but a foreign memory. Here in this moment, it's only me and Max and our tongues tangled in this wild game.

Please don't let go, I think in my head. His other hand holds onto my waist and he pulls me in tighter. It's like he heard me. I could kiss this boy for hours on end and never get tired of it.

Someone bangs on the glass door. Max jumps back, his hands slip off me, leaving me cold and confused. Even wrapped in his sweatshirt I tremble with chills. Everyone's eyes are on us through the glass. It's like we're some zoo attraction. I hold onto myself and shy away from them and from Max.

Max won't look at me. His eyes are focused on the deck. The kiss was a huge mistake. The first wasn't expected, but the second, I should have resisted. He and I — how could we ever work?

"I gotta go."

Max stares at me. A blank expression plastered on his face. I wish I could read him. A knot creeps up into my throat, tightening with every breath. Without another word I race for the steps behind Max and almost take him out as I pass.

The glass door slides open. I'm halfway to the metal gate when Alexa calls my name. She mumbles some more words, and I assume they are to Max. I don't turn around. I just want to go home.

***

The drive back to the house feels like it takes hours, but it's less than five minutes. I sit in the driveway staring at the house. My breathing is unsteady. My hands are too. I need to control my beating heart before I go inside.

Walker's home. His car is parked beside mine. The second I go in there he'll know something is off. He always does. Walker is more in tune with emotions than Dad. I'm okay with it, I love talking to him, but I need to process my thoughts before engaging in that conversation.

I stare at Max's soft gray sweatshirt. Lifting the neck of the sweatshirt, I take a whiff. The faint smell of Max's clean, fresh scent tickles my senses. It somehow calms me. Within seconds I feel like myself again.

The sounds of the TV greet me when I open the front door. A high-pitched male voice talking about construction vehicles babbles on and on. I slip my shoes off and attempt to reach the stairs before Walker notices.

"Hey Lennox, is that you?"

Busted! I take two steps down the stairs and walk over to the living room. Elli is standing up in front of the TV flapping his arms while watching the latest kiddie trend — Blippi. Elli's eyes light up when he sees me.

"Ex it's an excavator," he says.

"Excavators are so cool."

Elli nods his head, then returns his attention back to the TV. He's improved so much since I first met him about a month ago. His therapist says he's a smart kid, he just has a little trouble processing language.

I turn my attention to Walker. His lips are pursed, and his eyes are glued to the unfamiliar sweatshirt I'm wearing.

"You're home early," he says.

"Yeah, just tired." I shift on my feet.

I wait for him to ask me about the sweatshirt, but he remains quiet, yet the question remains in his eyes.