CHAPTER 16

My leg shakes as I attempt to apply makeup. I miss my makeup girl Dominque. I wish she was here to fix the smudges I've created. I'm excited to see Alexa and Patty tonight, but dread wraps me in its grasp over the whole Dan and Maya debacle. And seeing Max— my emotions are all over the place.

I suggested the group date because I didn't want Dan to get the wrong idea. He's off limits, it's easy to see that. Not that I'd date him anyway. It's a messy situation and I don't want to get involved.

"Lennox?"

Dad knocks on my partially open door.

"Hey Dad, come in," I say when he peeks inside.

Frustration washes over me as I mess up the line that I'm drawing over my eye with eyeliner. Dominque made this look so easy.

"Hey, going out sweetie?"

"Yeah, going out with friends. I let Walker know earlier."

I attempt to fix the disaster I created on my eyes, but its not working too well. Giving up I thicken the line on the left eye and call it a day.

"That's cool."

Dad's quietly looking around the room. This new living arrangement is different for both of us. The last time I lived with him he was still reading me nighttime books about teddy bears, and old ladies who swallow flies. Now, he's stuck dealing with my teenage emotions.

"Are you still free to help with Elli tomorrow?"

Dad and Walker are counting on me for this event. I won't deny that I'm terrified, but I won't let them down. "Yes of course, what time again?"

Dad watches me closely but stays at a distance like he's unsure of how to approach. "Party starts at one, it's at Peconic Park."

He finally crosses the room and places a hand on the desk. I glance up at him. The serious set of his jawline captivates me, so I stop staring into the mirror and pay attention to him.

"Oh, that's a big open area. How do I make sure he doesn't vanish?"

He puts a hand on my shoulder, and with a strong confident voice, he says, "you've got this. I won't be long. I should be there within a half an hour of start time."

I have a chance to make him proud. I've been disappointing Mom for years. Things are different with Dad. He's never once told me that I'm a failure nor has he ever talked down to me like I'm less of a person because I'm still a "kid".

"I have faith in you Lennox, always have."

"Thanks Dad."

When my eyes meet his, I'm overwhelmed with a happiness I haven't felt in a long time. He squeezes my shoulder once more before pulling it away.

"How's uh — the Instagram thing going? Especially since your friend posted," he asks.

I pull it up on my phone for him. He jerks back, eyes wide.

"Tha — that is the number of followers I have?" he asks, pointing to the number.

"Sure is."

I grin at the number. It's well on its way to 2k.

"Are you doing okay, being back here and all?" he asks, as I put the phone down.

My feelings are not something I wanted to discuss right now. Not when I'm already anxious about the afternoon ahead. My brain can't handle much more.