16. Phoenix, Arizona

Start from the beginning

Jasper nodded. "He did. He said you should call your self, though," He tossed her a small silver flip-phone. "Here." His voice was stiff as he spoke, and as much as he tried to keep his face straight, giving nothing away, Magnolia could see a hint of a scowl fall through the cracks.

Magnolia stood up and made her way to the small kitchenette. She could feel Jasper's eyes on her as she dialled her mom's personal number. "Hello?" Magnolia's chest tightened at the sound of panic in her mother's voice.

"Hey, mom." She said softly. She could feel the disapproving scowl on her mom's face.

"Magnolia Siren. Do you have any idea how worried your father and I have been? How scared we were when Carlisle told us you went on the run to protect your friend from a tracker? I am this close to getting Jasper to take you back home immediately," She took a long pause, her breaths were shaky. "What do you have to say for yourself?"

Magnolia felt tears well up in her eyes. She didn't mean to cause this much pain to her parents, she was only thinking of keeping Bella safe. "I'm sorry mom. I was selfish. It didn't even occur to me what me going could've done. But I can't leave. I have to make sure Bella is safe, I won't let her die, mom. I can't." Her voice broke at the end as a few tears slipped.

Ariana sighed. "You are grounded for a month when you get home, alright?"

Magnolia nodded, sniffling. "That's fair. I deserve it...bye mom." She hung up before her mom could respond. Shaking, she placed the phone down on a counter, slowly slid to the floor, and curled up into a ball. She let her tears fully fall.

Jasper was at her side in an instant. He sat next to her and allowed her to rest her face on his shoulder, her tears wetting his shirt. "I'm a horrible daughter and mate. I'm sorry Jasper.
I know how you feel about me being here and I'm so sorry." She sniffled again.

Jasper kissed her head softly. "You're not horrible. You are the most wonderful person I have ever had the pleasure of meeting in this long life. You have nothing to be sorry for, I should be sorry for not believing in your abilities."

Magnolia sobbed louder. "Thank you," She managed to choke out, and for five minutes, she and Jasper sat on the floor, him allowing her to let all her emotions out. "Jazz?" She looked up at him, her eyes looked like crystals from the tears surrounding them.

"Mmm-hmm?"

She took a deep breath. "Can you..." She didn't know how to phrase it, but he knew what she meant.

Jasper nodded. "Of course." He couldn't stand her being this sad, this regretful. He pushed a large and soothing wave of calm towards her, and her hard and staggered breathing evened, and soon the tears in her eyes dried. She nuzzled her head deeper into his shoulder.

"Thank you, again." She mumbled. I love you, she thought. She was sure he could feel her saying that even if he didn't directly hear it.

He did. He smiled to himself, as he continued to hold the girl in his arms for another five minutes.

"Jasper!" Bella's voice rang out through the room. Jasper shot up, feeling Alice's change in emotions as she had a vision. He rushed into the bedroom.

Magnolia knew from his reaction what was happening. She got up shakily and followed. Bella stood nervously while Alice sat on the bed, her face blank, her eyes looking ahead into a possible future. "That tracker, he just changed course."