The Legend of Daihok (Rogue's POV)

Dear Diary:                                                                November 26, 2014

            It was the day before Thanksgiving and we were getting ready for the holiday festivities. Esme, Rose, and Leah were cooking up a storm in the kitchen of the main house giving Bella a break so she could watch over Nessie whose stomach was growing rapidly. It's been weeks since the wedding. I had spent most of my waking hours finalizing my research in my and Alexander's attic. I knew now that there was a lot to go over but in order for the pieces to fit for everyone else, I had to make sure they made sense in my head first. Nessie and Jacob's decisions were not their own and that would be difficult to explain. The hardest would be the end result. I wasn't looking forward to that but I knew that they had to know, to prepare for what was to come.

            I got all of my papers together neatly in a folder and flew over to the main Cullen house where everyone was waiting for me. The ladies in the kitchen emerged with aprons on and it smelled divine in there. I caught a glimpse and you'd think they were feeding a small country but because the vampires could now eat and each wolf ate for 4 people, it always made sense to make enough food to make sure people would then roll away from the table as Esme had described once with a laugh. Besides, if there were any left overs, they would give them to the homeless shelter in town.

            So as I entered the room, everyone looked at me with different expressions; from expectant to anxious; from interested to petrified. The last one belonging to Nessie and for a good reason; there was a lot she didn't know and needed to. So I set myself up at the table in the dining room and spread out my paperwork. I put everything in chronological order. The family gathered around; some sat down on chairs while others chose to stand. As I gathered my thoughts, I knew I had to go to the beginning, to the very beginning. So I took a deep breath and began to speak.

"I'm going to tell you all about the Legend of Daihok (pronounced day-hawk). Back in Ancient Greece he was a deity, a God of fertility. There were many like him. But he was revered because of his kindness. Couples would seek out his temples and bring him pieces of cloth, food, earth, and whatever else they held dear while they would pray to him to have healthy beautiful babies. He was also held above many others because it was said that he always gave his flock of followers what they sought."

"No one knows when or how but through the passing of millennia he grew corrupt. He saw how other deities would receive payment for their gifts and grant the wishes only to those they thought fit. So he started to do the same. He wouldn't grant fertility unless money was involved so only the rich could and would conceive. The more money he received the greedier he got until, the other God's started noticing a serious decline in the population. There were other deities of fertility but he was the popular one; that also didn't go unnoticed by those on Mt. Olympus."

            As I told my story, I felt like I had traveled back in time and yet at the same time, had brought the whole Cullen family (wolves included) with me. It was as if they could see those ancient times through my eyes and I wanted it that way. I had to tell the whole story or the end result wouldn't make any sense. So I cleared my throat and took a small sip of water from a glass that Alexander handed me with a smile and continued:

"Something had to be done. Daihok was becoming too greedy for his own good and was going against everything the God's stood for. Now don't get me wrong, plenty of God's were far from perfect but to completely turn their backs on the powers they were given was unheard of. So Zeus himself went to see Daihok and warned him to stop his mission of greed and torment and return to his former passive self or he was going to be punished."

"Daihok's greed and lust for power made Zeus' warning seem irrelevant and so he didn't heed it at all and it came to his undoing. Upon seeing that Daihok continued with his reign disregarding everything that was told to him, Zeus—who it was very easy to piss off—sent fire bolts to earth and destroyed every single Daihok temple. He banished Daihok to the Underworld and took away his heavenly power. In short, Daihok went from a God to a demon. That was one of the biggest falls from grace at that time."