I fidget with my hands and pick at my nails. The overwhelming anxiety of this is consuming my every thought.

"I don't want that either, but won't Mom think I'm taking sides if I talk to him?"

He shakes his head. "No, Max. Your mom will understand. Has she given any indication she doesn't want you to speak with him?"

"No, she hasn't — she's just been through so much and I — I just don't want to upset her."

He places a hand on my knee.

"He's your dad and she would never want to take your relationship with him away. She nor I want you living with any regrets. Okay? I know she'll be understanding."

He's right. I'm not sure when the right time to tell Mom is or when to talk to Dad but talking it out with Rob has made me feel a little better.

***

Peconic park is huge. It's got a grassy knoll, park benches, and trees for miles. It's a beautiful place, but not on this hot summer day. Under a group of trees sits some park benches. People have already gathered around. Party balloons float up tied down to the table with anchored centerpieces. Behind the tables is a large orange and yellow bouncy house. Some kids have already started jumping. Their screaming carries through the park.

The excitement about helping returns when I spot the video game truck two rows over from where I've parked. A few men are gathered around and I'm assuming that's where I need to go to meet with Monica's brother.

I'm not sure what Monica's brother looks like, but I'm hoping it's somewhat like her to make this easier. I head over to the truck and spot a man with short curly blonde hair. He's giving the other guy's directions, and I think its safe to assume it's him.

He spots me coming over and nods his head at me.

"Hi, are you Brian?" I ask.

"Yes, Max?"

"That's me. Nice to meet you."

He's a little distracted, a distant look in his dark eyes.

"I know I said you'd be working video games, but my character guy bailed, and I need a Mr. Incredible. Are you any good at acting?" he asks.

Well, that is not how I expected today to go. I glance over his shoulder at the gaming truck, then back at him. Money is money though and I need to save up what I can, so I guess I'd dress up as a clown if they needed.

"It's only for a short time. An hour tops. I'll throw in an extra fifty dollars."

"I'm in."

Less than ten minutes later, I'm standing in the park in a red jumpsuit. It could be worse. I could pass out from heat exhaustion. God damn I'm sweating in places that I probably never have before.

The party goers are all hanging out by the tables. I find the birthday boy right away with his Mr. Incredible birthday shirt on. His name is Tyler and he's a huge fan. I've never acted a day in my life, but I guess its never too late to start.

He spots me first and points. "Mommy!"

She turns with a smile on her face.

"Hi Mr. Incredible," he says.

"Hi Tyler."

I'm no Mr. Incredible, but I try my hardest to stay in character and make my voice sound somewhat like his.

"He knows my name!" he squeals. "Mr. Incredible knows my name!"

He shouts so loud that the other kids start to line up behind him. Meeting them and taking pictures isn't as bad as I imagined. Before the next one steps up something urges me to look up. When I do my eyes find Lennox. I don't know how we keep finding each other, but we do.