Ego

Over the next few days, the eight of us try very hard to get back to normal. Or at least we pretend in hopes that the act would stick.

The guys kick rehearsals into full gear since we decided that they'd still host the music show. And I fill my days with shutting out the outside world and existing only within the confines of the apartment. I read. I watch tv. I practice my Korean. I exercise. And I even try my hand at cooking some of their favorite Korean meals.

The first night was...interesting.

I'd always wanted to learn how to make kimchi-jjigae, which should have been straight forward enough as long as I followed the directions. But I was a bit uncertain about the broth made with anchovies and had no clue if I was doing it right. And then I ended up ordering the super hot gochujang and didn't even realize until after I had already added it to the stew.

Needless to say, there was a lot of sweating during dinner. But the boys cleaned the pot, despite me telling them not to and reassuring them that I wouldn't be the slightest bit offended if they opted for ramyeon instead. Even my sweet Taehyung, who can't tolerate spicy food, ate his portion with tears streaming down his face.

My second attempt was better, I guess. I'd known how to fry chicken but Korean style was an entirely different beast. The guys seemed to appreciate it even though I'm sure they could get a lot better from any one of the places they usually frequent.

And tonight, I'm trying my hand at one of their favorite noodle dishes. I'm even making a special dessert that will accompany an exciting plan I hope to present to them. If all goes well—please, please go well—the meal and my idea should go down smoothly.

The guys trudge in later both exhausted and hungry yet they never fail to rally when they see me

The guys trudge in later both exhausted and hungry yet they never fail to rally when they see me. Their expressions instantly brighten and they stop to give me kisses as they make their way into the living room after slipping off their shoes.

"Rough day?" I ask no one in particular.

Jimin cracks his neck and then nods. "We're performing some of our songs from our rookie days. The choreo is harder than I remember."

"Or we're just getting old," Hoseok counters, flopping down on the couch with an audible grunt.

"Yah! Speak for yourself!" Jin jibes. However, he eases down onto the floor in front of the couch and then gestures towards the seat. I know what he's asking for. And I don't miss the wince that morphs his features every time he shifts his sore body.

I take a seat behind Jin so that he can rest his back against my knees and then begin to knead his shoulders. He instantly releases a groan of appreciation, prompting the other boys to gather around as if waiting in line for their turn.

"I bet ARMY will love seeing you perform some of your earlier hits. Ooh! Please say you'll sing Just One Day. It's so cute and sweet!"

Jimin, who sits beside me, shakes his head then leans over to kiss my cheek. "Not this time, jagi. But we can perform it for you if you want."