Epilogue : Red Moon

You could hear the hushed voices that broke the silence and along with it the quiet buzz of traffic behind the glass panes. They were trying not to wake you up but what they didn't know was that you'd already been awake this whole time, only choosing to close your eyes for the sake of trying to satiate your inner turmoil.

"What did he say?" A voice you would recognize anywhere and anytime. Jungkook's arm was comfortably draped around your back, allowing your head to lean on his warm, familiar chest. It felt more like home now that you knew that you were going there...

A tap on a screen. A rustle of clothes.

"He said they're all waiting for us at the dorm." Another voice but this one you'd missed hearing for a long time.

Namjoon.

"Good." Jungkook's low voice vibrates through his chest. He sighs wistfully. "I hope everything goes well from now on. I'm tired."

"Don't worry. It's over now, " you hear Namjoon reply. Then, a hesitant pause. "How is she?"

"I'm alive and well, Joon-Hyung. Thanks for asking," you mumble with your face mushed into Jungkook's chest, eyes still closed.

The latter flinches slightly and tilts his head down, trying to see if you'd really been the one talking. "I thought you were asleep."

"How can I when the both of you won't stop babbling?" You turn to stare at the boy sitting across from you.

Namjoon smiles sheepishly and two small dimples appear on his cheeks. "Sorry."

It was not easy to describe the warm sensation you felt blooming in your chest, spreading its colorful tendrils into a series of explosions. Weird, to realize the importance of some people in your life, how their absence could turn your heart into a hollow, a barren crater. Only now that he was right in front of your eyes did you understand that you'd grown used to being around your loved ones. Keeping yourself apart from them did not particularly make you happy.

Namjoon's smile disappears as his forehead creases into a line. "Jungkook, will you please hand her over for a second for goodness' sake? You've been with her all this time. It's my turn now."

You momentarily freeze, surprise written all over your face.
All these years of living with him had made you hesitate about being too clingy since you knew perfectly well that he wasn't a fan of overly physical contact. Sure, you'd hugged a bit earlier back at the building but that was it.

Namjoon liked short, quick interactions but now that he was demanding extra cuddling himself, you didn't really know how to react.

Jungkook disentangles himself from you and gives your body a slight push towards the boy waiting with open arms. You sit down next to him, a bit hesitant at first but Namjoon ends the awkwardness by throwing his arm around your shoulders, pulling you in for a side hug.

You breathe him in, trying to absorb that scent of solace. It eased every strain on your muscles; you could feel it from the way you just sag into his arms.

"I missed you," Namjoon whispers softly and strokes your back with the flat of his palm.

"I missed you more," you sigh.

Through a crack in Namjoon's elbow, you peek at Jungkook on the opposite seat, smiling endearingly at the scene unfolding in front of him.

"What are you smiling at?" you murmur in distaste.

"I'm not smiling, " Jungkook quickly regains his composure and wipes off the dumb-looking expression.

"You were, actually, " Namjoon confirms.