Chapter Nine: A Mother's Love.

Start from the beginning

“Princess, It's time for breakfast! What are you still doing in there?!” My eyes snapped sideways to the closed door, once I heard the familiar voice of my stepfather.

My heart rate picked up, and began to throb relentlessly against my chest as a particular thought came to mind. An idea which had overtaken every one of my thoughts since last night.

This is it, Rachel! An opportunity to ask him about what he knows. Don’t let it escape!

Almost instantly, I made haste towards the door, hauling it open before Papa James could leave.

“There you are!” His greeting was accompanied by one of his luminous smiles, but there wasn't an ounce of strength left in me to smile back. “Would you care to explain why it's taking you so long to get dressed? I mean you aren't going to some party, just school. So why spend so much time…”

My brain drowned out his words and I couldn't help but get lost in my thoughts.

Ask him Rachel, come on! Ask him before it’s too late!

“Rachel, are you okay? Why so quiet?” The voice in my head cleared, and I could feel the waves of concern resonating from my step-dad’s voice.

“Papa James,” I called, in the sternest voice possible. “We really need to talk.”

“About what, Princess? Is there a problem?”

“Everything's fine, just come in. I need to ask you something important.”

In accordance to my words, he stepped into my room and closed the door behind him.

As I trod carefully to my bed, anxiety had begun its rapid knotting around my chest, but I wouldn't let it stop me. It was now or never.

“What is it? Tell me...” Papa James’ voice had taken on a curious tone. Almost eagerly, he took a seat next to me, the bed dipping greatly as it endured both our weights.

“Well,” I started, but not before quickly wiping a trickle of sweat that beaded my forehead. “I just wanna know if by any chance you know someone by the name; Nathan?”

Heavy silence stretched. I watched Papa James’ brows furrow, forcing a wrinkle unto his forehead. He appeared to be so deep in thought, I prayed his next words would be able to shed some light on my questions.

“Well, I'm not too sure what you mean, dear...” He paused, then resumed a few seconds of pondering. “I've definitely never heard that name before.”

“You sure? There could be an old friend or someone you and Mum knew in the past bearing that name.” I probed further, hoping my persistent questions would strike a bolt of recollection.

“Not at all, Princess. There's no one connected to this family that bears that name. Why are you so interested in knowing more about this person, anyways? Is there something else you're not telling me?”

“Of course not! We're performing a survey in school about the most commonly used names. I picked the name; Nathan, and now I need to search more about it.”

Papa James seemed to believe my misleading words almost immediately. “You could always ask your Mum, maybe she'll have something to say about it.”

“Yeah...” I faked a smile, concealing any form of disappointment or dejection that could arouse suspicions.

“Hurry up and come downstairs. I want us to have breakfast together.” He rose from the bed and strode to the other side of my room.

“Okay!”