Ch. 4: Nothing Lasts Forever

(F/N's POV)

After that first day of training with Gustaf, I kept up a regular training regiment with the boy, waking him up early in the morning to train. We began with simple physical training, then later tried some more magic. Since he was still only a child, he had some difficulty with the magic, but he did his best and I saw some improvement over time. 

At the same time I kept my promise to his sister, Jericho. Whenever I sent Gustaf off on a task, I taught her a few things, mostly just some simple swordplay. I hoped that one day she could use magic like her brother, but she has not yet manifested any magical abilities. 

Occasionally Jericho would interrupt our training and as always Gustaf would send her away. This only made her more determined to prove herself when I secretly trained her.   

As always, whenever the Sins were sent out on quests, I would tag along, although recently I became more attached to the kingdom and stayed behind. I acted as the shield for the kingdom while the Sins were away. It also gave me more free time to train with Gustaf and even Gilthunder on occasion. 

------------

It was the middle of the day and it everyone was celebrating the kingdom's founding. There were fireworks and the town was full of merriment. I was planning on meeting up with the Sins later and sharing a few drinks with Ban and Meliodas to celebrate the occasion. Although we would probably be drinking tonight whether or not there was a celebration. The group just got back from their mission, but I did not accompany them on this one.

For now, I was with Gustaf. I asked him if he'd rather check out the festivities, but he insisted on getting more training in. As always, we met in the field and we were using our ice swords. By now, Gustaf had gotten used to the cold of the swords and could swing it at me with no struggles. When he was really involved in the fight he hardly paid the cold any attention. I swung my sword at him and he managed to parry it. I swung again and he rolled forward to dodge and thrust his sword at me, aiming at my chest. I managed to move fast enough to block the attack with my sword before his attack landed. After that I backed off and we took a break. I wiped the sweat from my brow.

F/N: "Nicely done. If you were fighting a normal man, you probably would've landed that attack."

Gustaf: "Yeah, you being a hybrid gives an unfair advantage. I had you that time."

I walked up to him and put my hand on top of his head and ruffled his hair.

F/N: "You sure did, kid. Now, let's take a break and grab some food. There's a celebration going on. We might as well get something out of it."

Gustaf: "Right."

I snapped my fingers and our swords turned to snow. We made it to the local tavern and ended up having a decent meal. I ended up walking Gustaf home, telling him to take the rest of the day off from training. As we continued on the path to his home, the city shook and I could hear attacks in the distance.

Gustaf: "Master, what's going on?"

F/N: "I don't know. Stay here. I'm going to look."

I leaped on top of the roof of a nearby building and looked towards where the noise was coming from. It was the old castle on the outskirts of the city. There was a ton of commotion. I thought this was strange, considering that I'm pretty sure the Sins were summoned there. I jumped back down to the street below.

Gustaf: "What did you see?"

F/N: "There's something happening by the old castle. I'm going over there. Get inside and stay there. It may be dangerous out here. Go now!"