Ch. 1: A New Path

(F/N's POV)

I was sitting on the floor by a large bonfire in the giant city. The other giants had covered my chest, abdomen, and arms in bandages since I was bleeding all over after my fight with Balder. I also had a bandage wrapped around my forehead from a head injury I sustained. They had even fed me and allowed me to keep the hammer which had chosen me after abandoning Balder. My horse was also sitting by the fire next to me, with mother's axe still attached to his saddle.

Arvid assured me that Balder would be punished for his actions and that I would be allowed to come and go as I pleased. Despite their past feelings towards me, the giants of the clan recognize one thing and one thing only: strength. The fact is, I faced their chief, one of the strongest among them, and won. They also can see how much I cared about the giants that fell in the battle for the fort up north.

After resting by the fire that night, I gathered my things and made my way to the main exit early in the morning, leading my horse. As I made it to the large opening back out to the woods, I heard large footsteps coming from behind me inside. I turned to see Arvid coming towards me.

Arvid: "Off so soon? No goodbye?"

F/N: "Yeah, I think it's about time I get going."

Arvid stroked his beard in thought.

Arvid: "You know, I meant when I said you could stay. As far as I'm concerned, you've proven yourself as one of us."

I gave him a small smile.

F/N: "Thanks...but I think it's time for me to move on. I've been in the north all my life, seeking the clan's approval. I also couldn't abandon my mother because it was my mistakes that led her back to the clan and away from home. She's gone now...and I think its time I saw the world and found a place for myself. I don't know what I'm looking for, what dream awaits me...but I have to go out and find it."

Arvid gave me a sincere smile. I scratched the back of my head a bit embarrassed.

F/N: "Sorry I brought all that up. Not even sure why I did."

Arvid: "No, I understand. The young should not be held down by their parents. It's only natural you wish to leave. Go, find your dream. Remember, there will be a place for you here if you ever choose to return." 

F/N: "I will. Goodbye."

I raised my hand to shake Balder's. He indulged me, taking my small hand into his much larger and shaking it. I grabbed my horses reins and continued to lead him. I grabbed mother's axe and turned back to Arvid.

F/N: "Hey. Mind looking after this for me?"

Arvid seemed very surprised.

Arvid: "That is your mother's axe. Only her or her offspring could wield this weapon. Don't you want to keep it?"

I looked at it more closely.

F/N: "It's not that I don't want it...it's just that I don't feel worthy of it. I was naive and foolish. It led to everything going wrong in my life and my mother's life. I still feel responsible. She must have felt so alone after she returned to her clan, leaving her family behind. My father was much quieter too. I guess...I still feel responsible for what happened."

I tossed it to Arvid. To my surprise, it didn't grow to his size like I thought it would. It landed in the palm of his hand. It's blue light died down as well.

Arvid: "You see. It only responds to you now. But if this is your choice, I will guard it for the rest of my days, until you are ready for it. I have no doubt that this is your sacred treasure and it will bring out your true strength one day. Until that day comes, I will do as you say. If you want it, only sense it and pull it towards you, like your mother did before. It will fly for miles to find you."

F/N: "I'll keep that in mind. Farewell."

I jumped on my horses back and made my way back home. I needed to pick up a few things. I got back relatively quick. I changed into better clothes, packed my bag, and grabbed a cloak. I had the hammer tied to my belt and my father's bow on my back. I slung the bag of supplies over my back and led my horse away from home, looking onward, heading south. I stopped at the southern edge of town. One more step, and this will be the farthest south I've ever been. I stepped forward and didn't look back.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Notes

Prologue is officially over. A new adventure next time. This part was a little short, but I wanted to tie the last few things together after the last part.

As always, I appreciate comments and suggestions.

See ya next time!