Prologue Ch. 5: Confrontation

(F/N's POV)

After burning the bodies at midnight, I rested at the fort for the rest of that night. I cleaned myself up and readied some previsions. I found a horse the enemy brought with them to the fort which would help me make my way back home. I felt better with some rest, but I felt minor fatigue from the previous battle. I woke up as the sun began to rise and I felt its warmth on my body as I stood up from my makeshift camp. 

I repaired the bow father left me and hunted a few things to eat before setting out. I made a fire and crouched as I watched the meat cook, mother's axe still on my back along with father's bow.

 I made a fire and crouched as I watched the meat cook, mother's axe still on my back along with father's bow

I ate my food, then put my remaining supplies in the horse's saddlebags. I kicked the fire to make it stop burning then climbed onto the saddle. I traveled down the path back home, southward. It was partially cloudy, but no snow was falling today. Despite having a horse to rid back on, the trip felt like forever. Every now and then I took glances at my belt where I had the two pouches of my parent's ashes and I sighed. I didn't know many people to begin with, but now it seems I am truly alone. 

I made it to the crossroads. If I continued on the path South, I would be heading back to the cabin. However, the path to the Southeast was the home of the giant clan. Where Balder was. My old enemy. I stared down that path for what felt like hours.

I turned the horse Southeast and its hooves clapped against the dirt as was moved forward.

--------------------------------------------------------

When I saw the giant home a distance off while I moved among the forest, I dismounted and tied the horse to a tree. It was far enough away that the giants would not see him and it would be safe. I took Leviathan Axe off of my back and attached it to the saddle.

F/N: "You mind watching this for me?"

The horse huffed and gave me a look. 

F/N: "Good boy. Stay here, Roach." I told him, giving him his name.

I took a deep breath and approached the massive structure. I walked in the main entrance and walked down the corridor. The guard attempted to stop me, calling to me as I passed him. I gave him a stern look and his eyes widened. He could tell who I was. 

Giant: "I thought you were dead?"

F/N: "Balder. Where is he?"

Giant: "Uh, y-you're not supposed to be here. You aren't one of us." 

F/N: "I didn't come here to be one of you. Not this time. I won't ask again."

My eyes began to glow blue and frost formed around my hands. This guard was relatively young for a giant and I seemed to intimidate him. 

Giant: "He's down the main hall, just keep going straight, you won't miss him. But, I'm not supposed to let you pass. I'll get into trouble."

My eyes stopped glowing and the frost went away. I gave him a smile.