The forest around us was quiet, excluding the birds that chirped over head. Looking up at the canopy of leaves, I did feel quite thankful that they kept the sun out, at least most of it. Very little wind reached the bottom of the forest floor, where Father and I walked, which didn't allow us to cool off. I looked up at the gray hided mule and wondered if the animal was suffering as much as us. It has to carry our belongings and endure this long trek. Even though it's an animal made for back-breaking tasks, it has to feel some sort of agony. Maybe this is different to it. Maybe it likes to travel and carry our things. Maybe it doesn't mind this. It's been used for many tasks such as this so what's to say it minds. It's only doing what it's used to, after all.

Tree leaves rustled above us and the forest floor was left untouched by the soothing wind. The forest is too thick to let in any full gusts of air. I understand why Father chose to have us journey through here. No civilization was around for miles and the only signs of other life were animals. Looking down at my moving feet, I sighed and clutched at my cotton dress. I had asked Father before we started the journey, why we didn't use a wagon. His answer was simple and smart. A wagon would only draw attention to ourselves, which is exactly what we do not want. Also, a wagon wouldn't be able to ride through this forest and its floor. Everything is too bumpy and jumbled. Bushes and patches of grass are all the forest floor contains. Father had a hard time finding the path through the forest, which had long been forgotten as many other efficient paths had been made in other areas far from here. None of the used paths should connect to this one meaning we shouldn't run into anyone else that would be traveling or hunting for us. We had left no trace behind before we started this journey so no people would come after us. And, if things weren't bad enough, Father had to steal the mule we have now from a merchant. Even now, I wonder how he swiped such a big thing. The only thing we have to be concerned about is animals and our own health. Father is doing well to ration what little food and water we have left as he's determined everything we have to do. So, if he says we only have one more day left to travel then we really do.

After minutes of walking through the brush of the forest, I suddenly collapsed and couldn't get back up. I panted into the grass and dirt and felt tears slipping through my closed eyes. I desperately tried to get back up before Father yelled at me but I felt too weak. I had only consumed a bit of water this morning. I can't see the sun over the trees but I'm sure the time is noon. I'm starving and exhausted. Too weak to keep moving yet I know I must. "I'm so sorry, Father," I whimpered as I tried to heave myself up again, only to hit the ground again. I felt his hand reach under my chin and lift my head up. Father wiped away the dirt that stuck onto my face and said, "You have to be stronger."

I nodded and awaited his order for me to stand up. But, instead he lifted me up onto my bottom and began to remove my shoes gently. I watched, with wide, watery eyes as he placed both shoes aside with care and examined my bleeding, bruised feet. "It seems that whatever blisters you might have had have already popped," he stated. On his belt was pocket for the smaller supplies we had. He opened up a pocket and took out small scissors and gauze. "You're lucky enough that these blisters weren't too severe," Father remarked as he put my left foot upon his lap, "If they were, I'd have no choice but to amputate your little feet."

I squeaked and gave Father a terrified look. A corner of his mouth lifted ever so slightly and he said, "But, like I said, you are lucky. Though, I do have to cut off the torn skin." I gulped and watched as Father placed the scissors in his hand and held onto my foot firmly. Carefully, he cut away at the skin that was left, only to leave small red and raw patches of flesh. Father took out a rag and dabbed at my bloody feet. "We can't afford to use water for anything else other than drinking," he said, "So, I'll only have to bandage your feet. Are you okay with that, Emily?"