Esme greeted Magnolia at the door with open arms, taking the girl in as if she was her own. Timothy, of course, was hesitant to let Magnolia into that house again, but he noticed the change in Magnolia's demeanour, how the tension in her shoulders seemed to disappear, how her face lightened up at the sight of Esme — she was a completely different girl.

Magnolia could tell the house was tense. Rosalie didn't speak to her as she walked in, only receiving a strained smile. Emmett greeted her with his signature bear hug, Alice pecked her cheek and Carlise hugged her tenderly. Jasper waited for her to finish with his family, standing on their backyard deck.

"Hey," She approached Jasper, light touching his shoulder. She leaned against the deck railing. "You ready for today?"

Jasper smiled, nodding stiffly. "With you by my side, I would be ready for anything." His words could've caused Magnolia to faint — butterflies fluttered around her stomach as she smiled back at him.

"You're such a romantic." Magnolia chuckled, shaking her head as she glanced at the greenery in front of them. She listened to the birds chirping from above and watched the squirrels chase each other up and down the trees.

Jasper slid closer to her. "Is that a bad thing?" He moved behind, wrapping his arms around her waist. Immediately Magnolia melted into his touch, sighing contently as she shut her eyes, taking in his sweet scent.

She shook her head. "Mmm...no. I like it, actually. Most guys nowadays aren't as romantic. It's sad, really," She took another long and large breath in. "Ooo, you smell really nice today," she chuckled. "Sorry, that was weird."

Jasper laughed, finding her comment amusing. "No no, it was sweet. I wish I could know what you smell like." He leaned forward, resting his head on Magnolias' shoulder.

Magnolia opened her eyes, confused at first. Then she remembered a sorcerer or sorceress doesn't have a scent to vampires — it makes it easier to sneak up on them. She frowned, a sudden feeling of guilt overtake her. Jasper felt this. "Are you okay? Did I upset you?" He asked quietly.

Magnolia extracted herself from his grip, turning to face him. She smiled as best as she could. "You did nothing. My ancestors...that's my problem. I don't like that I've been bred to...to be a killing machine. You deserve so much better." She took his hands lightly, staring down at the floor.

Jasper sighed. "You can't change who you are," Magnolia looked up, glaring at him. "But," he continued. "You don't need to. You're perfect, just the way you are. You and I defy all odds. Never has a vampire had a sorceress as a mate-" He stopped, realizing what he said.

It took a few seconds for Magnolia to fully comprehend what he said. "I'm-I'm your...mate?!"

Esme suddenly appeared, she fumbled over her words hastily. "Jasper, Carlisle would like to speak to you," Jasper speed off with no hesitation. Magnolia gaped as he left, shocked. "Maggie, dear. Would you care to help with lunch? We're making Italian for Bella." There wasn't an option. Esme took the shaken girl's arm, and lead her into the kitchen, cursing under her breath at her son's stupidity. Magnolia was not ready to know that.

Magnolia sat on a far kitchen counter, staring at her hands silently. She listened to the sound of meat cooking, plastic crumpling, and knives cutting. She could hear the quick whispers of Carlisle and Esme and could feel the worried looks Emmett was casting in her direction. Alice has taken Jasper out of the house to hunt before Bella arrived, just as a precaution. She watched as they went, frowning as he didn't look back at her.