5

Chapter Five

VANE JASON

I never thought this day would come.

The day my father was buried, my heart deflated. That very moment, my childhood memories spun inside my head, filling me with the kind of sadness and grief that I knew would never heal over time. I never imagined that I would find the courage to visit him again after all these years. But here I am, standing in front of his well-kept grave, staring hollowly at the inscription etched on the ornate headstone. Placing the flowers on the ground, I muttered a simple prayer hoping it will reach him.

Javier Blanco Clohessy had been my life's greatest mentor, and my very first confidante. He has taught me many things, and up to this very day, I still live by some of his beliefs and teachings.

When I was ten years old, I remember running home to find my parents lounging on the mansion's pool area. I told my mother that I was in love with someone, and she flashed me a confused and slightly annoyed look, before telling me that I was too young and innocent to declare that I am in love. She dismissed the idea as quickly as she would dismiss our helpers once they have given her what she wanted. My heart sank, because I did not agree with her, but I did not dare question the things she said.

That night after dinner, my father headed to my bedroom and asked me about the girl. I told him she introduced herself as Xiana. He laughed, obviously amused, before he ruffled my hair.

"Mama said I'm too young for love," I said sadly as I played with the hem of my shirt.

He waved his hand dismissively. "Nobody is ever too young or too old for love."

"You think so, Papa?"

"I know so, Vane. Where did you meet Xiana?" I loved how he addressed her by her name as if he knew her personally. My excitement bubbled inside my chest as I recounted the story.

"I was playing outside with the toy helicopter you gave me when I saw her riding a purple bicycle. She had long hair and pretty eyes that seemed to sparkle whenever she smiled. And she smiled a lot, Papa! I was fascinated by her, so I forgot all about my toy. The helicopter bumped into the villa's tall gate and crashed on the ground. I ran to it and saw that it was broken. She got down from her bike and approached me. She said her brother had the exact same toy and if I wanted, she could ask him to give it to me instead, because he no longer likes to play with it."

"Xiana seems like a very kind little girl. What did you tell her?"

"Well, I told her it was just a toy and that you would buy me another one if I ace my classes, so I told her not to worry about it anymore. She said that I must be sad it broke, so she sat on the ground next to me and sang to me, Papa. She has the loveliest voice I have ever heard."

My father's chuckle filled the entire room. "My boy, you are smitten."

"I told her to call me Vane. I invited her to play with me again tomorrow, but she said summer is almost over, and her entire family is flying back to the city the following day. She said she has bad memory and that she's most likely to forget my name. I told her names are not that easy to remember, but special gifts are. We traded little gifts with each other. Even if she forgets my name, and what I look like, she will always remember that moment."

"My witty child. What did you give her?"

"I could not find anything valuable to give, so instead I checked my pockets, and found a lone chess piece. It was a king. I told her she gets to keep it because she's a queen."