10

Chapter Ten

VANE JASON

I have seen supermodels wearing branded swimsuits, actresses flexing their carefully crafted designer-made gowns, and endorsers clad in the most physique-flattering dresses. Hell, I have even seen some of them in less. Yet, as I stare at Asheng walking toward me, in black denim jeans, a simple shirt, and her damp hair falling down her shoulders, I know that her beauty is incomparable.

As she ambled closer, I could not help but analyze her movements. She was cracking her knuckles as she went as if she was nervous. Inside my chest, my heart started beating rapidly and I wondered if I could possibly be more nervous than she is. Asheng opened the pickup's door and the sound jolted me back to my senses. My hands instantly turned cold and that seemed to answer the question I had in mind.

Asheng sat comfortably next to me, strapped the seatbelt on and looked in my direction. "Good morning, Vane," she greeted with a small smile.

Just one smile and I can tell.
I can tell that I was right.
She is incomparable.
There isn't a single doubt about that.

"Hi." I'm breathless. It surprised me to know that I can still find my voice amidst the chaos of the thoughts rallying inside my head. "You ready?"

Asheng gave me a nod.

"I'm two minutes late. Sorry." She looked apologetic, but I gave her a dismissive shake of the head.

"You weren't. I was a hundred and twenty seconds early."

That made her laugh.

I hope she doesn't notice the dark circles under my eyes. I wasn't able to get much sleep because I kept thinking about how this day will turn out. Friday, I decided, is now my favorite day of the week.

I started the engine and was about to drive off when Manang came hurrying down the steps of their front porch. She was frantically waving her hands at me, so I waited. When she reached the side of the car, she spoke with so much concern.

"Senyorito, 'wag mong pababayaan si Asheng ha. Nako, malalagot ako sa mga magulang n'yan 'pag nagkataon. Mawawalan ako ng trabaho. Kapag nawalan ako ng trabaho, malulungkot si Asheng. Kapag nalungkot si Asheng ay magmumukmok na siya. Kapag nagmukmok siya ay hindi ka na n'ya kakausapin. Kapag nangyari 'yon, hindi na kayo magkakatuluyan..."

"Nana!" Asheng looked astounded. "Ang layo naman yata ng narating ng imahinasyon n'yo. Nakakahiya ho kay Vane."

Tumawa ako. "Oho, Manang. Sisiguraduhin kong hindi masasaktan si Asheng."

"Mabuti naman. Basta mag-ingat kayong dalawa." Dumukwang siya para bumulong sa tenga ko. Pinigilan ko ang tawang gustong umalpas mula sa bibig ko nang matapos siyang magsalita. Nakita kong litong nakatingin si Asheng sa amin pero kinindatan lang siya ni Manang. Kumaway siya sa amin bago umatras at pinanood akong magdrive paalis.

"Ano'ng binulong sa'yo ni Manang?" Inosenteng tanong ni Asheng habang nakatingin sa labas. Nakagat ko ang pang-ibaba kong labi para supilin ang ngiti pero nakatakas pa rin ito.

"She just said... that you were so excited for this day that you weren't able to get much sleep last night." That was a lie, but her audible gasp told me it might not be. Something inside me was rejoicing at that particular thought.