20

Chapter Twenty

Vane Jason

              Over the years, I have categorized so many places as my home. For the longest time, my home had been Casa Blanco, where I grew up and learned all my firsts. When my father died and my mother and I left to start anew, home became the house we bought in the heart of London. After I moved out a few years later and lived in Spain, the modern one-bedroom flat became my new home.

              Right now, I realized how silly I had been to associate the word home with buildings and beautiful cities. The truth is home does not necessarily have to be a structure or a place. It can be absolutely anything, like a feeling, of belongingness, of comfort; like a person, someone who has a genuine smile, a melodious laughter, and a kind heart.

              You are home to me, Asheng. My most favorite, among all others.

              As if she could hear the traffic of thoughts inside my head, she lowered the volume of the car radio and looked in my direction. Of course, I pretended not to notice as I continued to drive silently, ignoring her stares, ignoring the deafening sound my heart is making inside my chest.

              "Are you mad?" she broke the silence.

              Only then did I pause to look at her. Ah, those eyes. I don't think I'll ever recover from my amazement, my wonder. I don't think I'll ever want to.

              "No. Why would you think that?"

              "It bothers me," she replied. "You're here, driving me home, instead of being at your own party. You should be having fun with your friends and the guests."

              "I am having fun." I smiled at her. She responded with a heavy sigh.

              "You're saying that to make me feel better, aren't you?"

              I shook my head because she's wrong. I'm not saying it to make her feel better, I'm saying it because it's exactly how I feel. Fun doesn't always have to be boisterous merriment. It can also be comfortable silence. Being this close to her, hearing her voice, is a new definition of fun that I love.

              "Going after you was my choice, Asheng."

              "Yes, but..." She scratched at a non-existent itch on her arm. "But I influenced you to do it. Had I stayed there and waited until the program is over, the two of us would have been enjoying with abuela. Thinking about the way I acted earlier makes me feel so... ashamed."

              "Don't be. I'd always pick you." I paused. "I'd gladly do it again in a heartbeat."

              She gave me the faintest of smiles, but I knew that it was enough. She held her arms and hugged herself and I asked if she wanted me to turn the air-conditioning down, but she disagreed. Her eyes were now focused outside, even though there wasn't any scenery worthy to behold, just thick dark trees, overgrown bushes, and broken lamp posts lay ahead.

              As I pulled over in front of their house, she quickly untangled herself from the seatbelt in a hurry. I didn't want her to go just yet, but I don't have the courage to tell her to stay.

              "I guess this is good night?"

              "I guess so..." She nodded, awkwardly, hesitantly. "Good night, Vane. Thank you for the ride and for the invite. I... Please send abuela my apologies and my regards. It was such a pleasure meeting her and sharing a table with her."
               I bit my lip. "I'll tell her you said that."