7

Chapter Seven

ALEXIANA CALLISTO

"Alexiana has a what?" My father's voice made my eyes widen instantly. A second later, my mother's sweet yet nervous laugh resonated. I should have known that my mother will put the call on speaker.

"Mom, I can't believe you." I fidgeted with the hem of my shirt as I spoke. My cheeks burned at the thought that my overprotective father now knows I have a thing for someone. My cheeks burned even more when I thought of Vane and of his expressive blue eyes.

"Well..." My mother paused, thinking of a way out. "Honey, hindi ko naman alam na kaya ka tumawag sa akin ay para magkuwento ang tungkol sa crush mo sa Vane na ito. Had I known, I would have kicked your father out of the room."

"Kick who out of the room, Cassidy?" asked Dad. "Why will you do that? I have a right to know kung sino ang mga umaaligid sa anak natin para malaman ko kung mabuti ang intensyon nila. And what kind of name is Vane? Ano siya, ugat?"

I bit my lower lip to prevent myself from laughing. "It's V-A-N-E. Not V-E-I-N."

"Trust your Dad to overreact about these matters. Kung umakto siya ay akala mo ba hindi siya maagang nagpapansin sa akin."

"Cassidy, my intentions were pure. I just want to make sure that our kids will not be associating themselves with anyone whose intentions are anything other than that."

"Aaron," my mother countered. "They're all old enough."

There was silence and then I heard my father produce a low sigh of surrender.

"I was kind of expecting that kaya ikaw ang tinawagan ko," I grinned. Even when I can't see the expressions they have on, I have a feeling that my father has a massive frown on his face while my mother is barely trying to keep herself from grinning at my father's defeat.

"What's he like, by the way?" she asked.

"It feels awkward to talk about it now that I know Dad is listening."

"I don't even hear a damn thing," he scoffed. My mother chuckled and told me to hang on. I heard the creak of the veranda door from the other line as she stepped out of their room.

"I'm really glad that you still call to tell me things like this." She sniffled. "Akala ko 'pag laki niyong magkakapatid ay unti-unti niyo na kaming makakalimutan."

"That will never happen, Mom."

"Baby, you're going to make me cry." She sounded as if she already is, but I decided not to point that out. "Now, tell me all about this Vane guy."

I stood up and started pacing the room. Wayne was looking at me with his wide puppy eyes probably wondering why I can't stay still. I don't really know if it's worth telling my mother, because I'm not sure Vane feels the same way about me. I'm not even sure he feels anything for me at all.

There's a lot to say about his personality, but I started with the one thing I'm most certain about.

"Oh, Mom," I gushed. "He's the nicest person in the world."

VANE JASON

Asheng is terribly wrong about something.

She truly believed that I have a good heart and I didn't have the fucking balls to correct her and ruin the image of me that she had in mind.

If I have a good heart, I would have told her what the real meaning of daks was. Instead, I laughed it off and told her juts meant someone who has bad intentions. If I have a good heart, I would not have allowed myself to bask and enjoy her innocence and grace. Instead, I stayed longer to have a chat with her. If I have a good heart, I would not have asked for her number knowing that whatever small attraction I feel toward her is not something I should be giving in to.