Chapter 31: "Don't. Make. A. Scene."

"Monroe, darling you made it."

I looked between both of them before acknowledging her. "Yvette." I looked at her emotionlessly.

"Wyatt." I looked at him with an ounce of malice in my voice as if that would even get his attention.

He didn't peer up from his phone, not once. "You know Monroe -" he started with a smug tone in his voice. " - we gave you everything you have, including that monthly allowance we still put in your account every month." He finally looked up at me with a look of disdain on his face.

"The least you could do is call us your mother and father." I shook my head, knowing that I shouldn't have come to this dinner. He couldn't even hold back until I sat down. "Well when I called you mummy and daddy as a child, no-one answered."

I said finally taking a seat and pulling my chair in. Yvette looked a little shocked by our exchange, her eyes widened and I could see her searching the table for something. Her wine glass.

She soon noticed I was watching her every move before she could reach for it. She gulped looking over to my father and putting her hand on top of his. "Wyatt, Monroe. Please? Let's all settle down and just enjoy dinner okay?" He pulled his hand from underneath hers and immediately I saw the same marriage I saw as a child.

Her head bowed and her body sunk into her chair ever so discreetly. I closed my eyes trying to force away the sorrowful feeling I had for her. I shouldn't feel sorry for her, I shouldn't feel bad, but yet here I am with my big heart going out to the woman that never loved me.

I was taken out of my thoughts when the waiter came over with a bottle of red wine. My mothers eyes lit up and she stood up from her chair as she gestured to the wine. "Oh, look we got your favourite wine too."

I shook my head looking at the label on the bottle. I had never taken a sip of that wine in my life but I knew the name enough to know that she was extremely familiar with it. I waited for the waiter to leave the table. "That's your favourite wine, mother."

Her face washed over in complete embarrassment and shock. She looked around to make sure that no-one had heard my comment before composing herself and sitting back down. Her face was now stern and no longer showcasing her thespian attributes.

"Clarise has definitely been rubbing off on you." She mumbled as she looked down fixing her dress. I rolled my eyes not even willing to entertain the argument she wanted to have. "Moving swiftly on. What's this dinner really about?"

She looked over to me before looking at my father whose head was still looking down at his phone. "We just wanted to catch up. We haven't spoken for a while and Chase said -"

I rolled my eyes before cutting her off. "Chase said what? Mother. I thought this dinner was about me and catching up with me." I emphasised the word me at every attempt. "Well honey, he said you were having some problems. Talk to us sweetie, we can help -" she placed her hand on top of mine, giving it a gentle squeeze.

I immediately cringed at the words she spoke. "Some problems?!?! Are you fucking kidding me right now?" My voice began to raise as I felt the anger build up within me. My father slammed his phone down on the table loud enough to stop me in my tracks but low enough to not make people look around. "Lower your fucking voice, Monroe."

My eyes widened at my fathers tone of voice. My hands curled into fists as I tried to control my anger, he wasn't going to talk to me like this anymore. As a child this was his usual tone whenever we had a conversation which was rare.

However, as an adult he had no right, I felt my anger almost falter into fear but I didn't want him to see it, he didn't deserve to see it. He didn't get to belittle me into being the weak woman he thought I was.