Chapter 18

It's been two moons since Nightpaw and Midnight had run away together. Nightpaw was now 10 moons, and she watched Midnight grow as she was now 8 moons. Not much has happened. Nightpaw had grown quite used to life as a kittypet, but despite that she would still long to stretch her legs and be in the outside again. Her paws itched to feel the soft grass again, to feel the wind in her fur as her tail floated like a feather behind her. To breathe the clean, sweet air of the outside. And she understood how much better it would be now that the cold had subsided. Over time, the weather had gotten less cold, and Nightpaw could feel that new-leaf would be arriving soon. But for now, she was confined to her twoleg's den. Stuck staring at the outside through the window, watching the people move around on the street from up above as if she was a bird.

"Whatcha thinking about?" Midnight meowed as she padded over to Nightpaw on the windowsill. "I've been seeing you stare out that window for about a week now."
Nightpaw glanced at her. "Erm, it's nothing, I just..." She set her paw on the hard glass, looking out with a sad gaze. "I miss the forest. I miss being outside." She admitted with a sigh. Midnight parted her jaws to speak, but didn't get to answer as suddenly their twoleg stepped into the room, carrying a crate like thing, or a pet carrier as Midnight called it. Nightpaw had been in them before, usually when visiting the twoleg medicine cat, or "the vet" as Midnight called them. Nightpaw tilted her head. Why would I be going to the vet now? Nothing's wrong with me. Nevertheless, she didn't make a fuss as the twoleg set it down, ushering the cats to come inside. She sighed as she stepped into the crate, hearing the metal door close in front of her with a clink.

After a while, Nightpaw felt the crate being set down, and then she realized where they were. They were outside. Nightpaw practically jumped out as soon as the crate door opened, relishing the sunshine and breathing in the fresh air. "Finally!" She yowled. "Freedom!"
Midnight soon was beside her as she squealed. "The park! He took us to the park!" She squealed with a little hop.
Nightpaw gazed in awe as she looked around. Twolegs strolled through on dirt paths and trees were everywhere, and her mouth watered as she scented prey for the first time in what felt like forever. Sunshine shine down, illuminating the city in a bright, warm yellow glow. Birds sang and chirped in the trees as a slight breeze blew across the park. It was perfect.
Nightpaw trodded around, feeling the sidewalk underneath her paw pads, slightly warm from the sun. Nightpaw looked up and saw her twoleg talking to another twoleg, which as far as she could understand was weird gibberish. While the twoleg was distracted, she snuck off, and then started sprinting, happy to stretch her legs. "Hey! Wait for me!" She heard Midnight yowl as she started to race after her, her collar jingling with each bound. Nightpaw let her tail flow behind her as wind streamed through her fur. "Where are you heading off to?" Midnight panted as she finally caught up to Nightpaw, who had slowed to a trot. "Just, anywhere away from the twoleg." Nightpaw answered back with a sigh. "It's just- I'm not fit to be a kittypet. I don't think I ever will be. We need to leave, and this is our chance."
Midnight suddenly paused, and Nightpaw looked back at her. Did I say something wrong?
"Are you alright, Midnight?" Nightpaw asked her with concern. Midnight looked down, her ears drooped as well as her tail. "It's just... I don't think I'm fit to be a wild cat either." She sighed, then continued. "I feel like I finally belong somewhere when I'm with our twoleg. He's better than my old housefolk, that's for sure..."
Nightpaw stared at her, not knowing what to say. "But, I thought we would always stick together..." She whispered, her ears lowering.
"I know, but I thought that we would both stay as house cats..." Midnight answered. Nightpaw could've sworn she saw her tear up a bit. "What if, we aren't meant to stick together? What if we're meant for separate destinies?"
Shock hit Nightpaw as her fur bristled. "No! That can't be, I need you!" Nightpaw cried, stepping closer to Midnight. "I don't know what I'd do without you."
Midnight sniffled. "I know, but, neither of us would truly be happy if we followed the same path. You know that, right?"
Nightpaw nodded, but stayed silent. She brushed up against Midnight, who did the same. Nightpaw pulled away and looked into the swath of trees. Her paws ached to feel the grass beneath her paws again, and to taste prey again. And then she looked back at Midnight, and sighed. "I... Is this where we part ways? I don't want to lose you..." Nightpaw sobbed. Midnight nuzzled into her. "I don't want to lose you either, but we must. I can try to visit when the twoleg takes me out again."
Nightpaw and Midnight intertwined their tails, staying there together for a few moments one final time. After a few minutes, they separated. Nightpaw and Midnight looked at each other.
"Goodbye, Midnight."
"Goodbye, Nightpaw."
Hesitantly, the two parted ways. Nightpaw watched as Midnight headed back to the twoleg, before eventually she took a step in the opposite direction, and stepped into the wilderness for the first time in a long while.