Chapter 11

"May you find good hunting, swift running, and shelter when you sleep."

The clan was clouded in sadness and grief as they said their final goodbyes and wishes to Driftpaw, who was murdered at the paws of a StormClan warrior out of pure spite. The apprentice had been on patrol when he wandered off, and ambushed by the warrior. It had truly been a terrible day for MistClan, and this marks the day where MistClan and StormClan are truly deemed mortal enemies.
"It's not fair!" Lavenderpaw cried out in disbelief at the body of her own littermate. Rainpaw buried his muzzle into his sister's shoulder, both clearly grieving for their lost brother.
"It doesn't make any sense..." Nightpaw muttered to herself in shock.
Why would StormClan do this?

"They need to pay for this!" The clan had cried in outrage at the apprentice's murder.
Even Twigshade had agreed. "I can feel it, Shinestar. Something bad is going to happen. StormClan will slowly destroy us." She had pleaded to the leader. "We must fight!"
"I dont know, Twigshade." Shinestar started. "While it is clear that Driftpaw's death should be avenged, there are cold moons ahead, and many apprentices that are not yet warriors. We should be preparing for leafbare, not injuring our clan even more."
Pinedust, Violetdawn, Sapspring, and the other warriors gathered around Shinestar.
"Are you insane? We are perfectly capable of taking them on!"
"We cant let them think we're weak!"
Lavenderpaw stood up, pushing past the warriors. "We cant let Driftpaw's death go unpunished!" She pleaded. "Please, let us fight!"
As the clan continued to pelt Shinestar with arguments, she finally gave in.
"We will attack at dawn tomorrow. We will bring them on our territory, where we will have the advantage of knowing our territory, unlike them." She announced to her riled up clan. "All apprentices must undergo battle training today." Murmurs of approval spread through the camp.
Nightpaw trembled with anxiety. Was she ready for her first battle? She felt Daypaw stiffen next to her too, but she put on a brave face. "I'll strip their pelts off!" Daypaw hissed, unsheathing her claws. "Those StormClan scums have nothing against us!"
Nightpaw felt the adrenaline rush through her as she was called by her mentor for training. She thought about Driftpaw, and then herself.
Maybe I can finally prove myself to my clan. Tomorrow will be the day I show them all the warrior i'll become.

Evening fell over the camp as the dusk patrols went out as usual. Twigshade prepared bundles of herbs for the warriors and apprentices to keep their strength up while rushing in and out of the medicine den. The hunting parties were larger than usual, to make sure everyone was well fed before going into battle tomorrow. "Go get something from the fresh-kill pile." Shinestar urged her two nervous daughters. "A good meal tonight will mean a good battle tomorrow." Nightpaw sighed as she picked a shrew from the fresh-kill pile, reluctantly eating it as she watched her sister eat beside her as well. Her gaze then traveled to Mosspaw, who had been battle training with Stagpaw. Mosspaw seemed zoned out too, peering across camp until his eyes met Nightpaw. Though he said nothing, his gaze calmed Nightpaw down, making her more confident about the battle to come. Shinestar looked at her clan, looking more sure of herself as she stood tall, holding her head high and her shoulders stiff, proud of her clan's progress.
Nightpaw and Daypaw made their way towards the apprentices den, curling around in their nests.
"I wish it was morning already!" Daypaw whined, her paws itching for battle. Nightpaw shared her excitement, and didnt at the same time. But, she couldnt shake off the feeling that something horrible was going to happen.