Chapter 7

(A/N) Yes, this is a continuation of the flashback that was shown in Chapter 8.)

"Nightpaw!" Violetdawn called her over. She bounded across the clearing and to her mentor's side.
It was two moons after the gathering, and she still couldnt get over what happened at the gathering. A chilly breeze loomed over the sandy clearing, bordered by green shrubs and plants.
"Today, I decided to see how you put up against an older opponent for battle training." She explained. A few moments later, Stagpaw, along with his mentor, Ivystone, pushed through the bushes that bordered the terrain. Nightpaw's heart dropped. Of all cats, why him?
Stagpaw glared at her, he could sense anger in his green eyes.
"Why does Stagpaw have to be training with that thing?" Ivystone snarled as she flashed a menacing glance at Nightpaw, piercing through her soul.
Violetdawn ignored her and backed away. "Remember, no claws. Keep them sheathed, and do your best." She meowed to the two apprentices. Ivystone backed away as well and only gave a nod to Stagpaw.
"I never knew I'd be going up against a kitten." Stagpaw snarled as he readied himself.
"And I never knew I'd go up against an idiotic furball that has no remorse for any other cat's feelings." Nightpaw hissed back.
Stagpaw growled and sprang forward, trying to knock her down. Nightpaw jumped out of the way quickly and snagged her teeth onto his tail, unbalancing him and throwing him to the ground. He staggered to his paws as Nightpaw went to swipe at his muzzle. He quickly ducked and twisted around to her side. He pounced onto Nightpaw's back and without warning, unsheathed his claws and dug them into Nightpaw's shoulder. Nightpaw screeched as pain seered through her. She dropped low to her paws and turned to her side, nearly crushing Stagpaw before he jumped off just in time. Blood welled from her shoulder wound and spilled onto the ground.
"Stagpaw!" Violetdawn hissed as she got in the middle of their fight. "Are you mouse-brained? I said no claws!"
She growled at Stagpaw and turned to Nightpaw. "Go to the medicine cat den. Stagpaw has landed himself in a little meeting with Shinestar." She turned back at him. "Oh, stop babying her!" Ivystone hissed at Violetdawn. "We're training them to be warriors, not mice!"
"Ivystone, it's also critical for them to learn about loyalty, and that you never harm your Clanmates!" Violetdawn snarled at her, digging her claws into the ground. Nightpaw left the two bickering she-cats and ran off to the medicine den
She pushed through the entrance of the camp, shaking thorns off her pelt. She quickly ran over to Twigshade, who was sorting through her herbs.
Twigshade's ears twitched as she turned around to face her. "Training with Stagpaw, huh? This is the second time he's unsheathed his claws during training."
She searched through the crevices where she kept her supplies and pulled out cobwebs, and a bundle of Marigold. She chewed the petals and leaves of the flower into a poultice, the yellow pulp staining the dark ginger fur around her muzzle.
She beckoned Nightpaw forward with her tail. Nightpaw sat down next to her as she started licking the pulp into her wound. Nightpaw winced a bit, but held her tongue. Once Twigshade had finished, she put the cobwebs onto it to cover it and slow the bleeding.
"Last time Stagpaw trained with Cypresspaw, he sent her wailing over here because he nearly tore her ear off!"
Twigshade hissed under her breath, "That apprentice is nothing but trouble."
Nightpaw agreed, "You could say that again."
"At least Mosspaw had the common sense to stop following in his pawsteps!"
Twigshade laughed a bit, then added, "In fact, I think he's totally been mooning over you these two moons!"
Nightpaw's pelt felt hot, "What? No way, nobody is gonna fall in love with my hideous face!" She meowed in disbelief.
"But he has! Head over paws!" Twigshade snickered.
"Whatever, even if he has, it's not like I'm gonna take him as a mate, I still have 4 moons until I'm a warrior!" Nightpaw hissed a bit.
Twigshade moved away from Nightpaw as she finished putting cobweb on her wound.
"You may want to take a few days off of training to rest." She told her.
Nightpaw nodded as a thank you and padded out. She was caught off guard as she bumped into Mosspaw.
"O-oh, I'm so s-sorry!" Mosspaw stuttered nervously.
"Hey, it's fine." Nightpaw assured him.
Mosspaw picked up a piece of prey he had dropped, "I was, uh, going to give this to you, since I heard about what happened with Stagpaw..." He told her, handing her a freshly-killed squirrel. "My stupid bee-brain of a brother."
Nightpaw was flattered, "Thank you, but if you want, we could share."
Mosspaw was about to protest, but Nightpaw cut him off again, "I insist."
Mosspaw hesitantly layed down besides Nightpaw, who layed down as well.
Mosspaw curled his tail around Nightpaw as they both ate the squirrel together, completely ignoring the countless cats who stared at them. Mosspaw looked into Nightpaw's "eyes".
"I'm so sorry about everything bad I've ever said about you.."
Mosspaw purred, "And, in fact, your eyes are beautiful..."
Nightpaw's heart soared at his comment. She said nothing, but she buried her muzzle into his fur.
"Thank you..."
Nightpaw purred as Mosspaw groomed her. And for the first time in a long while, Nightpaw felt something she thought was lost to her.
Love.