Prologue

Lightning struck down and heavy rain poured down onto the MistClan cats. Many of the cats sheltered inside their dens; anxiously waiting for the terrifying storm to pass.
Twigshade was examining the herbs she had beside her, muttering their names and uses underneath her breath. Suddenly, a caterwauling wail sounded above the clamour of the rain and snapped Twigshade out of her focused state. A fluffy white she-cat ran up to her. "It's Shinestar!" She yowled. "She's kitting!"
Twigshade nodded, grabbed her herbs, and ran to the Medicine Cat den.

Slipping inside the dark and cozy den, Twigshade saw Shinestar twitching and wailing in pain, Violetdawn and Sapspring were crouched beside her, doing their best to comfort her.

Twigshade hurried over to Shinestar and placed her paws over her belly; massaging to tell the amount of kits inside. She felt two bumps, which would be a bit easier than if it were an entire litter.

"Ok, Shinestar, I need you to take deep breaths; I know you're probably in a lot of pain right now, but you have to concentrate." Twigshade instructed, still massaging the queen's belly. "I can give you a stick to bite down on if the pain is too much."

"Yes, please!" Shinestar wailed. Twigshade grabbed a stick that was beside her and had the queen clamp her teeth down on it.
"Alright," Twigshade meowed calmly. "Push!"
Shinestar's wail was muffled by the stick that she bit down on harshly.
A tiny gray and yellow fur ball was born. "A she-kit!" Twigshade announced. She pulled the kit closer and licked it to help with her breathing. "Ok, Shinestar, push again!" Twigshade said.

With one last muffled wail, another kit was born. A blue-gray kitten. Twigshade pulled that kit close too and licked it.
She then placed the kits gently next to their mother.

Twigshade took the stick from Shinestar and placed it somewhere. Shinestar pulled the kits close and admired them. They were almost perfect.
The gray and yellow kitten kept sticking her paw in the blue-gray ones face, causing her to sneeze, and when she did her eyes opened in the process, revealing black, empty sockets.

All of the cats present flinched and gasped in mixtures of shock, surprise and horror. 
Shinestar looked down at her kit in shock "her eyes...."

"W-What's wrong with her?" Dovebreeze asked shakily.
"I dont know, I've never seen anything like this" Twigshade said while examining the kit.

"She seems perfectly healthy, and I doubt she's blind. We'll just have to watch her closely as she grows up."

"She's a freak!" A she-cat hissed. "She must be a bad omen. An eyeless kit born in a storm like this, that must mean something!"

Shinestar hissed. "I think you're forgetting that there's another kit here too, Ivystone! And if she was a bad omen, Twigshade would know."

Ivystone looked sharply at Twigshade. "Well? Is she?" She hissed. Twigshade hesitated, "I dont think there's anything wrong with her. Sure, she's a bit, different, but that's what makes her special."

Ivystone, and some of the other cats there looked disgusted. "I refuse to share a nest with that creature!" Pinefur spat. "And I dont want my kits anywhere near it!"

"Then you're more than welcome to sleep outside." Shinestar countered, nuzzling both of her kits closer. "I dont mind switching nests with you, Pinefur" Streamshine offered. Streamshine didn't see anything wrong with the eyeless kit either.

With no reply or even a show of gratitude, Pinefur and her switched nests, with the brown queen laying as far away in her new nest as possible.

Shinestar looked down at her kits. "I'll name you.. Daykit." She said while looking at the gray and yellow kit. She turned her head to look at the blue-gray kit. "And you, you'll be... Nightkit."