Chapter 8

Nightkit tossed the moss ball at her sister, who scrambled across the camp to catch it.
"Hey, you threw it too hard! That's totally the reason I wasn't able to catch it!" Daykit yelped as she puffed out her chest fur.
"Yeah, sure." Nightkit said with a snicker.
Daykit tossed it back to Nightkit. She reached her paw out to get it, but a strong wind blew the moss ball across the camp and out of sight.
Nightkit watched the moss ball blow away as everything around her suddenly froze. Grief hit her like a shard of ice, but she did not know why. In an instant, everything was dark.

Nightpaw sprung up as she gazed around the empty den.
She panicked, but calmed down once she realized they were all out training.
She hauled herself up and padded out into the camp.
What now?
She looked around and saw Shinestar. She was sharing prey with Pinedust as they discussed clan matters.
She bounded across camp, shaking off the stares that others gave her.
Shinestar looked up as Nightpaw stopped in front of her.
"What are you doing here, Nightpaw? You know you should be resting your shoulder."
Nightpaw had to admit, it did still hurt a bit, but she ignored it.
"That's so boring though! I just want to do something!" Nightpaw complained as she layed down beside her mother.
Shinestar laughed a bit, "And what are you planning on doing? Clinging to me like a tick all day?"
Nightpaw got closer, "I guess, yeah."
Pinedust got up, nodding to Shinestar as he took his prey elsewhere.
Nightpaw then started thinking of something to say. Her thoughts drifted to the clan meeting, to what Shinestar had said to her.
"Mom?"
Shinestar turned to her, a feather from a bluebird she was eating still caught in her fur.
"Yes, dear?"
Nightpaw hesitated a bit, but then spoke.
"What was my father like?"
Shinestar froze, as if contemplating wether to say or not.
Shinestar looked into her "eyes" and seemed to relax, as if she were giving up on a thought.
"Let's just say,..." Shinestar trailed off a bit. "He wasn't the best cat."
Nightpaw's heart dropped as she let Shinestar continue.
"Many moons ago, I found a sickly rouge..."

Shinefur padded through the heavy snow along side other cats. Pinepaw, Sleetclaw, and Robinwing.
"Sleetclaw, you try hunting near the great maple tree with Sunpaw, I'll try hunting in the trees near the twolegplace with Robinwing." Shinefur ordered.
Sleetclaw nodded to her as he headed away with Sunpaw. Shinestar and Robinwing headed deeper into the forest. The twolegplace could just be seen up ahead.
Robinwing tried to scent any prey. "I think there's a hare over here somewhere..." She trailed off as she started tracking it.
Shinefur was about to follow when she heard the snow crunch behind her.
She whipped around and saw a skinny gray tom with long, gray fur and piercing amber eyes.
"Hello?" The tom coughed as he addressed her.
"Who are you? Why are you here?" Shinefur hissed. The tom was taken back, and he calmed down again.
"I heard about these clans, and that they have healers, correct?" He croaked.
"Where are you going with this?" Shinefur meowed briskly.
"I've been sick for a quarter moon now, and I was wondering if maybe you could help Me? Please?" The tom explained, and Shinestar noticed the sickness that glossed his gaze.
"...Fine, but know that our leader may not take kindly to rouges." Shinestar sighed as she led him to the MistClan camp.

"Then what happened?" Nightpaw asked.
"Well," Shinestar continued. "Squirrelstar agreed to take him in, and he ended up joining the clan as a warrior. As Stonegaze. We ended up becoming mates five days before I became leader. And that brings us to the next part of the story..."

Shinefur looked around the camp, her stomach swollen with her unborn kits.
She had not seen Stonegaze at all while she had been awake, and even Squirrelstar was looking concerned.
Suddenly, Ravenear, burst through the camp entrance.
"Rouges! Dozens of them!" He wheezed as he collapsed to the ground, blood pouring from a large gash in his stomach. The now lifeless tom lay motionless as dozens of rouges burst through the camp entrance.
"MistClan, attack!" Squirrelstar yowled as she leaped down into battle. Within moments, the camp was filled with screeches and the reek of blood. She saw Stonegaze heading her way as she felt relieved. "Stonega-"
She was cut off as he pounced onto her, snarling.
Shinestar kicked him off as surprise made her fur bristle.
"Wh-what are you doing?!" Shinefur stammered.
"Taking this territory for me and my friends, that's what!" He sneered as he swiped his claws against her muzzle.
Shinestar's surprise turned into rage as she ducked down and knocked him off balance. Through her fight, she saw a rouge overpower Squirrelstar as the pitch black she-cat pinned her to the ground.
She sunk her teeth into the leaders neck as she slowly weakened and, eventually, died.
Shinestar sunk her claws into Stonegaze's eyes, blinding him. She knocked him down and leaped on top of him.
Guilt, grief, and rage swarmed in her all at once as, with a bit of hesitation, delivered the killing blow to Stonegaze's neck.
One of the rouges noticed his death as he yowled.
"Stonegaze is dead! Retreat!"
Within moments, the rouges backed down and swarmed away.
"And don't ever show yourselves here again, you little runts!" Shinefur screeched at them.

Nightpaw layed there frozen. She couldn't comprehend what she had said.
"I know it's alot to take in, that's why I didn't want to tell you..."
Nightpaw calmed down a bit, and then moved closer to Shinestar, burying her muzzle into her fur as if she were still a tiny kit.
"Its ok."
Nightpaw was disgusted at the thought of being kin of a vile cat like that. But, she got over it in a few moments.
She told herself something.
I will become better than him. I'll show everyone.