Chapter 3

(A/N) I rewrote this chapter because I didn't like how it turned out

Nightpaw tossed and turned in her moss nest, as if a whole swarm of fire ants was biting at her. The size of the apprentices den was much different than the small, cozy size and scents of the nursery. A fox screeched in the distance. Daypaw lifted her head sleepily, but didn't wake. She only adjusted herself and then began to snore loudly.
Nightpaw got to her paws and stretched, her long, sleek tail sticking out like a twig. A thin stream of chilly air trickled through the briar walls, reminding her that leaf-fall would be here soon.
Trying her best not to wake anyone, Nightpaw squeezed out of the den. The night sky twinkled with shining stars, covering the camp in a soft, dim light.
"Going somewhere?"
Nightpaw's fur bristled as she turned to face the speaker. Pinedust stood about three tail-lengths away from her. Nightpaw parted her jaws as she was going to explain, but was interrupted by Pinedust. "Its alright, I won't tell Shinestar." He said again. "But just be back here by pre-dawn, or she'll throw a fit."
Nightpaw nodded to thank him.
She quickly dove through the tunnel under the thickets that acted as a barrier for the camp. As she emerged from the other side, the scents of the forests flooded her nose and mouth. Earth, leaves, moss, and the enticing scents of prey. The early leaf-fall hues dappled the forest floor in shades of pale green and orange, making the ground look like the pelt of a tortoiseshell cat. Shrubs and bushes crowded the forest floor, shadowlike in the moonlight. She continued walking along the well-trodden path. Suddenly, something stirred in the holly bushes beside her. She froze, and turned slowly to face them. She ducked down and started to slowly creep near the noise, as if she were stalking unsuspecting prey.
Unfortunately, her paw stepped on a twig, which snapped.
"Fox dung." She cursed under her breath.
The figure quickly shot up after hearing the noise. The two had stared at each other for a few moments, giving Nightpaw a chance to see the cats eyes. Two different colors, one blue, one amber. The cat then sped away quickly, causing a few leaves that had dappled the forest ground to be kicked up into the air, drifting away. Nightpaw quickly followed in pursuit. "Come back here!" She hissed loudly as her paws thrummed against the leaf-barred floor. She weaved around the trees and hurled through a swath of ferns, running blind as the leaves whipped her face. The cat looked around their shoulder and then took an unexpected turn, throwing Nightpaw off. For a few moments she could see a flash of the cat's pitch black fur as they raced through patches of moonlight that lit the forest ground, the distant jingling noises of what probably was the cat's collar.
Nightpaw's shoulders heaved as she panted, desperately trying to catch her breath.
Then she looked down. On the ground near her was a fresh-killed squirrel. It had the same scent as the cat she had chased. Not wanting to leave the prey here, especially with leaf-fall coming along, she picked it up and retraced her steps back to the camp.

Nightpaw pushed through the entrance of the camp and made her way over to the fresh-kill pile. She stopped the furry squirrel in with the scrawny leftovers from yesterday. Her paws were sore from the chase, and she felt like she could fall asleep on her paws. She drowsily made her way back to the Apprentices den and layed down in her moss nest, where she slowly drifted off to sleep.