Chapter 14

Moonlight poured into the medicine den as Nightpaw yawned, blinking her eyes a bit to adjust to the night light. A scent hit her nose immediately, and she looked down to see a squirrel beside her. Daypaw must've brought me that earlier, she thought to hersef as she sniffed it. She took a bite out of it, suddenly realizing just how hungry she was. She quickly scarfed down the squirrel, leaving nothing but the bones of the furry creature left. She licked her muzzle and then peered out of the den. The moonlight seemes to be calling for her, as she remembered the dream she had of the silhouette cat. She then examined her wounds. She wanted to leave, but should it be now? Should she wait until she's fully recovered? Nightpaw thought for a moment, and then looked at Twigshade, who was peacefully dozing in a nest beside her. She then had reached her decision. She was leaving, right now. And nobody was stopping her, or so she thought. Slowly and cautiously, she got up out of her moss nest. But, before she could even take a step, it seemed like Twigshade had been awake this whole time.
"Nightpaw?" Twigshade addressed her, suddenly getting up, her eyes unreadable. Nightpaw whipped around to face her and froze, clearly confused and a bit startled. "Can I tell you something?" Twigshade asked her, beckoning her closer with her tail. Nightpaw hesistated, but stepped forward near the tabby. Twigshade lifted her muzzle to Nightpaw's ear and spoke. "Home is where your heart lies." Nightpaw let her words sink in. How did she know I was leaving right now? And, more importantly, why were her and Shinestar so cozy about it? It made no sense to Nightpaw, but then it clicked. When Twigshade had stared at her when she first became an apprentice while she was talking with Shinestar. Had she known all along? Did StarClan tell her? Nightpaw had so many questions she wanted to ask, but she stayed silent. Nightpaw stood up straight again, nodding, thanking the she-cat for her wisdom. Twigshade only smiled back, before slinking back into her nest. Nightpaw then ventured on, padding out of the den into the bright moonlight. Pushing through the thorn barrier, she finally exited the camp, and her journey outside the camp walls had begun.

She swereved around roots and skirted ditches, the forest territory all too familiar to her. She wanted to leave as fast as she can, so she picked up the pace, and soon started running, relishing the wind in her fur, as she was now a lone cat, a free cat. She glided effortlessly around her once home, soon breaking into no cat's land. The amount of trees diminished and soon she found herself in the twolegppace. For a moment she thoughg aboug becoming a kittypet as she slowed down her pace. But that thought was quickly pushed away as she questioned what twoleg would want to even keep her. And besides, she wasn't fit to live a pampered kittypet life anyways. Out of breath from running so long, she slid into a twoleg garden, seeking shelter in a bush to rest her legs. The urge to eat once more gnawed at her stomach, and she got up once more, hoping to find at least a mouse or two around these parts, maybe even the odd beetle. She circled around the twoleg den, hoping to sniff out some prey when she found something else. Right near the entrance, was an opened object of what appeared to be kittypet food. This is the slop that they eat? Gross. Nightpaw sniffed it again. As revolting as it looked, it was still an easy meal. Plus, she wouldn't want to disturb a twoleg by the sound of rustling leaves and bushes. Hesitantly, she ate a bit out of the twoleg item, and then more. She found herself devouring the contents of it, her stomach growling in satisfaction despite regreting every second of it. It wasn't a plump mouse, but it was enough to satisy her hunger. She then slipped out of the garden, continuing her journey out into the big wide world, but then she heard a cat call for her behind her.
"Hey!"
She turned around to face the speaker. A pitch black she-cat with amber and blue eyes was standing behind her, her eyes gleaming with joy. "Are you running away too? Our housefolk could be sooo annoying sometimes! A cat can't catch a break around here!"
Nightpaw blinked at her with confusion.
"Well, you're right about the running away part, but I'm no kittypet." Nightpaw chuckled a bit, facing the cat completely now. The cat then froze and stared at her eyes a bit. There was silence before the runaway finally spoke.
"Wow! Your eyes are so cool!" The she cat squealed, running closer to her. "Wanna be my runaway buddy?" Nightpaw was kind of at a loss for words, but she was unfamiliar with this place, and she really could use a guide.
"Sure." She answered, her tail swaying happily. "What's your name by the way?"
The she-cat purred loudly at her answer. "The name's Midnight! And yours?"
Nightpaw purred back, already feeling comfortable, as if Midnight was an old friend of hers. "My name is Nightpaw."
Midnight squealed again. "Well, runaway buddy, my housefolk travel alot, so I could show you around here so we know where we're going!" And then she added afterwards, "I think the Big City is where we should travel!"