Chapter 6

Nightpaw and Daypaw padded along adjacent in juxtaposition of the substantial amount of warriors.
"I can't believe we got picked to go to the gathering!" Daypaw exclaimed with an exhilarated squeal.
"I could care less about this stupid gathering," Nightpaw growled, "Now all the clans will get the chance to see the abomination I am!"
Daypaw's excited gleam in her eye went away as she looked down.
The rest of the journey was filled with silence as the ground cushioned their paw pads. The ground anon gave way to a sandy divest of land with a long log reaching from there to the gathering place, surrounded by water. Nightpaw could see the other clans going across the fallen trees on their territory to get there additionally.
She watched as her sister gradually wobbled onto the log, and her heart lurched as Daypaw lost her footing.
Fortunately, she managed to get across to the other side. Nightpaw set paw on the log, but was pushed off by another feline. She saw a flash of gray tabby fur racing across the log. All the other warriors ignored Nightpaw as they perpetuated to get across.
"Stupid furball!" She cursed the gray tabby underneath her breath.
She got up and expeditiously rushed across the log before anything else transpired.

Nightpaw sat in a far away corner, away from the eyes of the other clans as the leaders took their places on the three towering rocks in the middle of the gathering island. Daypaw sat adjacent to her few, and a few mouse-lengths away came Mosspaw, who sat uncomfortably close.
"Why are you here, fox-heart?" Nightpaw hissed to him, stretching her claws.
"Calm down, I'm not gonna do anything." Mosspaw grumbled.
Nightpaw seemed unconvinced about his answer. "You're probably just waiting for Stagpaw so you could torment me again in front of the clans, aren't you?" She snapped, her claws now digging into the earth.
"I'm not, I swear!" He protested, "If it makes you happy, then I'll leave!"
Mosspaw gave an irritated flick of his tail before moving several tail-lengths away from her. But before sitting down, he cast a glance at Nightpaw. Their eyes locked for a moment and Nightpaw's fur bristled in discombobulation as she sensed a strange warmth in his gaze. Nightpaw quickly looked away as Horizonstar started speaking.
"Welcome everyone, to the gathering!" He yowled over the sound of the speaking cats, gradually dying down.
He then turned to the other leaders, as a silent querying, asking if he could go first. The leaders nodded as Horizonstar continued.
"Prey has been running well in StormClan for now, despite Greenleaf coming to an end." He promulgated, looking down at the crowd. "We recently had a new litter of kits, born to Hazelheart."
The warriors below murmured meows of felicitations.
"They have been named Strikekit, Twistedkit, and Mothkit."
Horizonstar stopped as he turned to Currentstar, who started speaking next.
"Prey is running well in Creekclan," He announced, and an amused gleam shined in his eye as he added, "Or should I say, swimming?"
Daypaw let out a snicker at the leader's statement, and Nightpaw giggled a bit too.
"Two new warriors have been made, Fogpelt and Larchface."
Currentstar continued.
"Fogpelt! Larchface!" Cats cheered, yowling to the sky. A light gray Tom and a Ginger-and-white she-cat, who Nightpaw assumed were the new warriors, stood tall and proud, honored to be cheered for. The noise died down as it was Shinestar's turn to speak. Nightpaw's heart suddenly dropped as she realized that Shinestar would announce their apprenticeship.
"Prey has been running well in MistClan," Shinestar started, "And I'm positive that by the time leaf-bare gets here, we'll be well prepared."
Shinestar cast a glance at Nightpaw, and she could sense a sort of "sorry" in her gaze, and that's when Nightpaw prepared herself for what was about to happen next.
"Two new apprentices have been named," Shinestar hesitated as she continued, "Nightpaw and Daypaw."
Everybody turned to look at them, and never had the urge to be carried away by an eagle had been so strong.
"That thing became an apprentice?" A StormClan cat screeched, "Just look at her eyes! It looks like the entirety of the Dark Forest resides in there!"
Every cat suddenly broke into outrage, throwing insults and degrading comments at her. The most notable one being "StarClan reject."
The name took over all of Nightpaw's thoughts, not even aware of Daypaw's desperate attempts at defending her. Everything sounded mumbled, everything was blurred.
"Starclan reject!" Her thoughts jeered.
"Enough!" Shinestars yowl shattered her thoughts and the noise.
"StarClan has covered the moon! They are angry at us and have called the gathering to an end!"
Nightpaw looked up as the moon was heavily covered with layers upon layers of clouds.
Not even the leader's turned to face Shinestar as the clans separated, some still whispering about Nightpaw.
She looked up at the stars, as if she was challenging all of StarClan itself. One question remained in her head, one that she wanted StarClan itself to answer.
Why?