Chapter 5

“... And a one, two, three!” Katrina instantly went into a swirling frenzy till she could no longer feel her heartbeat and the world was an obvious blur, “... And POP, and pop,” Jack’s voice motivated her on as she threw herself around with the music, embracing it, feeling the vibrations pump through her. As the song quickly finished, Katrina was left in a panting haze.

“Well that was pretty good, but your thrusts were a bit off,” handing her a towel and water bottle, he scanned Katrina's body. Cringing at his thought; he obviously thought more of her and he knew it. But he could never face that. Hell, she was literally bent upon revenge and paid little attention to her surroundings. He had found a way into her heart though and he wished to remain that way, even if it was as a friend.

Kat’s sweaty face smiled up at him as she doused herself completely in water. Then she aimed her bottle at him and drizzled his face. Jack just shook his hair, spraying her and gave a boyish grin. They walked out of the abandoned dance studio, the morning sun shining on their faces. Glaring at the sun, they both walked into the car and buckled in. As Jack began to drive, Kat looked out of the car and stared at her hometown; she hated it. Rows of manicured green trees and rolling fields would have made anyone feel fresh, but when Kat saw them, she became sour.

Noticing that they were not on the en route home, she turned to her driver, “Jack where in the world are you taking me?” Katrina asked him. Jack shrugged, “There’s this cool place you need to check out,” Kat let out an incompetent huff. Jack parked in front of a coffee shop. Katrina followed her companion inside and was invited into the warm abyss of the sweet smelling, bitter tasting treat. As she scanned the inside of the shop, her eyes landed on red head that looked strangely familiar.

“Hey I’ll order us something, you can sit down,” Kat nodded, “Remember I don't like coffee Jack,” He just chuckled and shooed her away.

Katrina found that the only table empty was with redhead, who had headphones jammed into her ears. She walked over, tapped her shoulder and asked, “May I sit here?” The girl removed her headphones, and Kat stared into the greenest eyes, that she promised she’d never forget.

Nicole quickly stood up and gave Kat a bone crushing hug, “I missed you oh so much,“ she said tearfully and sobbed into Kat’s shoulder as Katrina felt the water works coming on. She then felt tears that she hadn't released in five years come loose and hugged her friend tightly, grasping onto a happy memory.

Jack watched the two girls release their anxieties and let loose, he felt glad that Kat was finally becoming more and more human like. But there was no way in hell or high heaven, he was joining the weep fest. So he just awkwardly stood in the distance, holding a tray of their coffees and two bear claws. When they seem to have adjusted to each others presence he walked over and set the tray down.

Both woman quickly grabbed the bear claws, while Jack silently drank his steaming cup of black coffee.

“So how have you been?” Kat excitedly asked her long lost friend excitedly. Nicole grinned at her best friends childish smile, “I graduated from college with a Major in government and minor in art, I’m hoping to go into law school next year,” Jack raised an impressed brow at her achievements, “What about you two?” She looked over the rim of her cup, looking at them expectantly.

Katrina fidgeted under her gaze before sighing, “Well I was too depressed...”

“About what?” Nicole brows furrowed, Katrina had almost forgotten that she had not explained her demise to Nicole, let alone her revenge, “Just some life stuff, anywho, I was depressed and wasn’t doing so well in school, so I decided to drop out,” Nicole’s eyes bugged, “But Jack made sure I did all four years of something so I chose sociology and tried to do some dancing for relief,” Jack smirked at her exasperated glare as Kat playfully punched his shoulder.