Chapter Eight: Your Supergirl.

Start from the beginning

The thought of food didn't sound as appealing as it was supposed to. My head was spinning and my stomach, churning. Both revolutions were becoming unbearably unpleasant, and hearing Mum's voice only seemed to heighten my discomfort.

My veins screamed with the urge to burst the door open and confront her about everything. This urge was almost too powerful, but I managed to control myself because I knew my mother just as much as she knew me. I knew she could be very secretive when she wanted to. Confronting her would only make her work ten times harder to make sure her secret stayed hidden. And I wasn't going to let that happen.

"Rachel!" The voice behind the door had morphed into one filled with worry. "Are you okay? Why aren't you responding? Open the door. I want to see you!"

"Yes Mum, I'm fine!" I made no move towards the locked door but decided to finally speak up before she went into full panic mode. "Still folding my clothes here, I'll be down in a minute!"

"Okay then, hurry up!"

Her receding footsteps echoed in my brain and I stilled, drawing in a silent sharp breath that made my eyes pop into watermelons.

Not because Mum had finally left, but because a great idea had struck my brain right then and there.

Nathan... All I knew was his name but that man was the key to my answers. It could be concluded from his earlier conversation with my mother, that this man also knew the identity of our mystery man.

All I needed was to hatch out a plan that would lead me to him. Once I could get to him, I would be one step closer to the truth. It was that simple.

And I knew exactly what I had to do.

Don't do this Rachel, you're definitely gonna get caught

Don't do this Rachel, you're definitely gonna get caught. Your mum will skin you alive!

I hesitated, before the door leading to the master bedroom. My paranoid and overly pessimistic inner voice was trying her best to make me scared and discouraged, but there was no other option. I had to do this because it was the safest and only way I could think of.

My eyes glanced wildly from side to side, scanning the hallway for anyone in sight.

Your whole family's downstairs waiting, but here you are about to sneak into your mother's room like a freaking thief!

SHUT. . . UP!

My vehemence overcame the pestering voice in my head, crushing it completely. I pushed the door open and made a step forward. Frantically, my eyes searched every corner of the room and it was empty---just like I wanted.

With my heart hammering, my breathing ragged in my ears, I edged my way towards the bedside drawer and almost instantly a familiar gadget came into view.

Swiftly grabbing my mother's phone from where it was laid to charge. I dived straight into her contact list, eyes frantically searching for the name 'Nathan' or anything similar but found nothing. I rushed next into her call logs and messages. But still, Mum's phone was as clean as my room would be in an opposite universe.