Chapter 7. It Was Just A Dance

Taytum's POV

When I climb out of the car, I can hear loud music filling Chance's house. I knock, but nobody answers. There is no possible way he is going to hear me over the music. I give up knocking after a couple of minutes and walk in. Chance and Emma are in the kitchen. I stop in the door frame. Emma wipes cookie dough on Chance's face. "Em," Chance laughs. "What the-" Chance stops when he sees me.

He straightens his features out. I bite back the smile that is threatening to spread across my face. Emma sees me and smiles. "Hi," She said shyly.

"Hello," I smile.

"You're early," Chance said as he put the cookies in the oven and wipes his face off. Emma jumps down off the stool she was standing on. She leaves Chance and me alone.

"Yeah, sorry, I knocked. You couldn't hear me."

Chance chuckles, grabbing his phone and pausing the music. He gestures for me to go to the living room. We head into the living room. Chance grabs his laptop, sitting down beside me on the couch.

Chance starts typing the first chapter of the book. I'm reading it curiously beside him. I have to lean close to him to read it, but he doesn't seem to mind the contact. "Where do you come up with such a story?" I asked softly.

"I'm not sure it just came to me," He shrugged. He continues typing the first chapter is almost two thousand words long. Chance doesn't really even need me for this project. His spelling was perfect, along with his grammar.

"You don't even need me," I chuckled.

"That's a good point. You might as well go home," Chance smirked. I smack him in the chest and can't help but notice how muscular it is.

"We should have come up with something together."

"You can write the next chapter." Chance hands me the laptop.

"I'm not sure what to write," I admit.

"Whatever you do, just don't give the plot away yet," Chance said. "Here," He said as he grabbed the computer from me. "Instead, we'll make some notes about what every chapter is about first." He pulls a notebook out. We start coming up with ideas that will happen in each chapter. "There," Chance sighed.

"That might make it easier," I said. "Can I ask something?"

"Sure."

"Why'd you leave the other night?" My gaze meets Chances, and a rush of heat floods my stomach. I almost regret asking.

He looks away for a moment then back to me. "I don't know. After the fight, I think I just had enough excitement for one night."

"Are you sure it wasn't me?" I asked bluntly. I'm not usually a timid person, but sometimes Chance makes me feel that way. I'm always worried I might set him off. He seems so easily triggered. Chance's gaze falls to my lips.

When his gaze meets mine again, they seem clouded. We had subconsciously moved closer. "Why would it be you?" He sounds almost confused.

"After the dance, you just... booked it out of the party," I point out. He can't really deny it. It feels like he pushes me away.

"It was just a dance Taytum," He shrugs. The cloudiness in his eyes fades away, and they become cold. A knock on the door makes both of us jump slightly. We had been in our own little world. Chance looks confused as he looks at the door.

"Expecting company?" I arch a brow.

"No," He said. He stands up and walks toward the door. He peaks out the window. "What the-" He cuts off as he throws the door open. A guy with blond wavy hair walks into the house.

"Hey man, I thought I'd-" The guy cuts off when Chance gives him a meaningful look. Chance looks at me first. The guy's gaze follows his to where I'm sitting on the couch. The guy lets out a low whistle when his gaze meets mine.

Chance sighs. "Drew, this is Taytum. Taytum, this is Drew. He is a friend of mine from Oklahoma." Drew knits his eyebrows together.

"Wow, you're a long way from home," I muttered.

"It's a hell of a drive," Drew nods in agreement.

"Drew graduated last year," Chance explained.

"Oh. Well, I'm going to head out since you have company. I'll try to write the next chapter and email it to you." I stand up, grabbing my bookbag.

"See ya," Chance muttered as I squeeze past the two boys to walk out the door. Once in my car, I back out of the driveway. Drew is driving a blue Chevy. I don't pay much attention to it, but it's a nice truck. When I get home, I'm surprised to find Laura's car in the garage.

"Aunt Laura?" I call her name as I walk through the house.

"Living room," She calls back. She's sitting on the couch watching TV.

"You're home," I smile.

"Yeah, sorry I've been gone so long, honey." Laura gives me an apologetic look.

"No, biggie," I shrug.

"Come sit." She pats the cushion that is empty beside her. I walk over and sit down beside her. She smiles warmly at me. "How is school?"

"It's school," I shrug casually.

"How are things with Adam and your friends?" She asked.

I sigh. "Adam and I broke up. My friends are good. There is a new student at school. I got paired up with him to do an English project."

"Oh?" She arches a brow. "What is he like?" She emphasizes the 'he.'

I laugh. "He's different."

"Is he cute?" She asked.

"Yes," I bite my lip to hide the smile that threatens to spread across my lips.

"That's all that matters," Laura giggles.

I shake my head. My aunt is not very 'mom' like. She doesn't try to replace my mom or play any kind of parent role. I'm pretty sure that is a big reason as to why we get along so well. "He seems really smart. He's very reserved, though."

"Hmm, mysterious?"

"You could say that." I roll my eyes.

"So is this boy why you and Adam broke up?" She asked.

"No," I huffed. "It's been a long time coming. I can kind of see why everyone thinks that, though. I didn't break up with him until I met Chance, but Chance isn't the reason. Adam is controlling and mean. He was always making fun of me in front of his friends. He'd be sweet when we are alone, but around everyone else, he acts like..." I trail off.

"A big egotistical jock?" She arches a brow.

"Exactly," I nod.

"I've had a couple of those in my day too, honey. You're right. You are probably better off. Don't ever take no shit from no man." She gives me a stern look. "Then again, maybe you shouldn't listen to me, I'm still single."

A giggle bursts out of me. "You'll find the right guy Aunt Laura. You're too amazing to settle for less than what you want."

"Awe thanks, hon." She smiles. "So how about we order pizza and watch lifetime movies?" She asked excitedly.

"Yes, please." A grin spreads across my face. Aunt Laura reaches for the phone and dials pizza hut. This is kind of what Laura and I do for quality time. If there was ever such thing as a perfect aunt, she is it.