That was another reason why he didn't argue with her; he knew it would end with him going down on her, and he hated the weak feeling that tugged at his chest when she made fun of him for that very matter.

It wasn't like William was a bad husband. He respected his wife and he always made sure to check up on her to see if she was safe and sound. Once, when she had caught a fever, he had spent the whole night taking care of her and making sure she had everything she needed. When morning dawned, Eliza's temperature had gone down a great degree and she thanked him with a peck on the lips. He didn't want to let go and turned it into a proper kiss but when his hand slid up her skirt, he stopped as soon as he realized that she was still ill and needed rest. With all these instances as evidence, William didn't think of himself as a bad husband. He was good, good enough for her.

Maybe that was the reason Eliza was so devoted to him. She was always busy taking care of him, making sure he was happy and satisfied, both in bed and outside. She ironed his clothes fresh, she cooked his favourite meals and once he had even dared to ask her why she did it.

"What's your game, little witch? Killing me with kindness?" he had asked, raising an eyebrow as he leaned against the kitchen counter and watched her bake a cake.

With a sly smile on her lips, she replied, "Maybe."

Wicked — William thought.

He was upset with his wife for being nice to his 'obvious' lack of affection. She should have left him by now. She should have realized what kind of a sick mistake she had made and should have been packing her bags back to her father's house. A father who lived just a mile from their own shelter; he had followed his daughter after her wedding when his daughter expressed disapproval at his staying all alone.

But she was here. Every morning he woke up praying to God for her to be gone and be free, but she wasn't gone; she was always here and often woke up in his arms. His mornings started with a small smile and a kiss on his cheek from Eliza before she rushed towards the bathroom to get ready for her daily chores, leaving her sweet scent behind. William often perceived that perhaps the only thing he would miss after she was gone was that delicious scent, but he never got a chance to experience that loss.

He had considered initiating a divorce but never had the courage because his parents would have been furious if he did that. They loved Eliza and adored her like she was their only child, not William. He was so jealous of her sometimes that he wouldn't even go with her to his own parents' house, three blocks from his own. All because he didn't want them to throw him 'those' glances.

A few days back, William had caught Eliza reading a bunch of papers that she had kept hidden somewhere. They were old and torn. He tried to catch a glimpse of them but she had spotted him at the right time and hid it behind her back. He didn't get a chance to read them.

"Who are they from? Lover?" he had questioned.

"No," she had replied, this time with no smile.

He didn't push the matter; he was happy instead. He wished that those were love letters and that Eliza was having an affair. He would no longer have to be the bad guy then and Eliza would initiate the divorce herself. His parents would no longer blame him and they would be free. He would be free if his wife were indeed having an extra-marital affair.

Now his parents were dead; they died of cardiac arrest. Both of them, together. It was an extraordinary event that people termed as 'soul mates'. William thought it was his devastating luck because although he had a rough relationship with his father, he had admired his mother.

That was two weeks ago and as he walked home, William finally managed to gather the courage to tell Eliza that he wanted a divorce. He had it all planned - he would tell her that she deserved better, that he wasn't a family man, that he no longer wanted to be with her and it would be better for both of them to end this once and for all.

It was a big day. He was going to rip the band-aid. He was going to be free.

Those were the thoughts that went on William's mind as he reached the gate of his house. With a deep exhale, he opened it with his speech ready in his mind.

Little did he know of what waited for him inside.