The real-life Lucille

I based Lucille on a neighbor that I grew up kitty-corner from my family. Some people knew this, but most didn't. Nate, Jonas, and Cayson were based on her sons, and her real name wasn't Lucille but did start with an L. I won't reveal her real name for privacy reasons as I won't reveal the actual names I based the boys and brothers on in my life.

The real Lucille was like a fictional one. She was fun, crazy, and we were good friends while I was growing up. Yes, she did try to get me to date her oldest son. I could also talk to her when I couldn't talk to my mom. Her sons spoke to my mom when they couldn't speak to her. We were like a family.

I found out the real Lucille passed away in January 2020. While you mourned Grammy Gray, I mourned the real-life version because it's a tremendous loss to everyone that knew her.

The last time I spoke to the real Lucille, she asked me how everything was in my life? I caught her up on it, and it made her happy that I accomplished some of my goals. She asked why I didn't accomplish everything I said I would do. I said that life happens and stops us. She told me that was bullshit. Yes, life happens, but you don't let life stop you from living.

I told you I knew the real Lucille. She was feisty, crazy, fun, and enjoyed corrupting me, but overall a fantastic friend. I learned to laugh at the hard times and have fun from her. I knew families weren't perfect, but you still love each other despite our faults. The real Lucille wasn't blind to her boys and accepted them for who they were because she loved them.

The woman married her high school sweetheart, had three boys and grandchildren. She was my friend, and I will miss her. I'm glad that I wrote Lucille to honor her and shared a piece of her with all of you.

That's a testament to someone's character when you create a character loosely based on them, and people fall in love with the character. Readers mourned Lucille's passing as I mourned the real-life Lucille's death.

Sometimes we all need a bit of bat shit crazy in us to make life more enjoyable.