There are holidays; then there are holidays with Lucille

Grayson

After getting through the rough patch between us, our marriage improved. I'm learning a crucial detail with Lucille. Never piss her off because it's not pretty.

Most girls would cry or run to Mom and Dad. Lucille wasn't like those girls. Sure, she talked to her mom to get perspective, but she didn't sit down and bawl like a baby. I got tanked. I had no intention of cheating on her with anyone. Her showing up at the bar saved me from the wrong decision. Alcohol had impaired my judgment, and I would have made a terrible decision.

She's right. She didn't deserve my disrespect but deserved better. After that day, I vowed to let no one or anything ruin our relationship.

The holidays had arrived, and Lucille submerged herself in them like Halloween.

She wanted to have a Halloween party, including costumes. She dragged me into her plans as I dressed in a costume, wearing tights.

"Oh, live a little, Gray!"

She stood in the bedroom doorway.

"I'm wearing tights."

"You're Peter Pan, and I'm Wendy."

She grinned as the vein in my forehead protruded.

"Be careful, Gray. Your temper is showing."

I conceded. I had to control my temper, or Lucille would leave me.

"Now, let's have fun!"

She grabbed my hand and led me out of the house.

We attended my parents' house party and enjoyed ourselves. I let her have her fun but also kept myself in check. People may think your wife whips you. I call it being smart.

My sisters found out what happened and threatened to rip off my nuts. They told me to stop being a tool.

Lucille loved life. She didn't like bullshit and wouldn't tolerate it. I needed someone like her who called me out on my bullshit. We all need a Lucille in our lives.

She made the party excellent with her presence. I love my wife. I didn't want to hurt her like I had that night. She wasn't angry, but I saw the hurt in her face.

We made it through Halloween, and Thanksgiving arrived. We had dinner with both families, inviting her parents over to my parent's house. Family is important to us, especially Lucille.

I saw her interact with everyone. I knew how she'd be when we had kids of our own. Lucille had a good heart. I'm older, but I learned a lot since I've met her. She's a force of nature, and I didn't want to deal with her anger.

She kept me on my toes, and I liked it.

Next was Christmas, where she shined. She loved everything about Christmas.

Since last year wasn't great, I wanted to make it up to her. She deserved it. I took her tree shopping and let her pick out whatever tree she wanted. We brought it home when she found one, and I dragged it into the apartment.

Next, we shopped for ornaments and gifts. I watched Lucille. She was specific about what she bought — putting thought and effort into each item. She didn't neglect the people in her life.

We finished up and made our way home. I helped her wrap gifts and decorate the tree. I enjoyed helping her, even if I can't gift wrap for shit. She teased me about it.

We even baked cookies and watched movies together. These moments made me realize it wasn't about the tree or the film. It wasn't about material items but spending time together. Now I understood why Luci wanted to work and not stay home.

As we watched a movie, I looked at her. She turned to me.

"What?" She asked.

"Okay."

"Okay, what?"

"I'm okay if you work."

She looked at me with surprise.

"Luci, you were right to put your foot down. I fell in love with you because of your spirit and independence. After we got married, I figured you would stay at home and take care of me, but that's not fair to you. I'm sorry."

"Gray, I love you, but I can also make my own decisions. I'm your wife, not your child. Whenever we have kids, you can tell them what to do."

She grinned, making me chuckle.

"Which reminds me, when would you like to start a family?" I asked.

"I figured we could wait until after the first year of marriage."

"Are you?"

She laughed.

"No, Gray, I'm not pregnant. I'm still on the pill. But how about this? After we celebrate our first anniversary, I'll stop taking the pill."

"Sounds fair enough."

Life would change where it concerned us.

Christmas had arrived. Before going to our families' houses to celebrate, we exchanged gifts. She gave me a wristwatch and had it engraved.

To my babe, forever and always.

It was, by far, my favorite gift. One I would never take off. Next, it was my turn, and I handed Luci a paper. Luci took it and glanced at it.

"What's this?"

"They're plans for a house. We need a place for a family to grow. So, I drafted plans for a house. When the time is right, I'll start building."

A smile curled upon her lips.

"Well, Grayson Gray, you never cease to amaze me. I love it."

She kissed me as I smiled.

I was making good money, and I invested money with my dad's help. I wanted to support Lucille with a decent life. I never wanted her to worry about money.

We spent the holidays with our families, exchanging gifts and having dinner. This Christmas was better. I learned not to put my job before her.

I had been working so much that I forgot she was important. I was a king-size tool for how I treated her. She set me straight, and never again will I take her or her love for granted.

Keep the love of an admirable woman. Those women are far and few. I was lucky. I not only had it, but she allowed me to keep her love. For that, it made me grateful.