Meeting the Gray family

Lucille

Grayson picked me up and told me to dress in a nice outfit. He was taking me to meet his family. I didn't know what to expect, if you caught my drift.

He pulled into a driveway. I got out of the car, noticing the house was a good size. From the home's looks, his family doesn't hurt for money. Let's hope they aren't snobby people.

There's nothing worse than dealing with snobby people. I dealt with them in school.

We walked up to the door, and he opened it. I stepped inside, and a middle-aged woman greeted me.

"Hello, hello, hello! You must be Lucille," the woman greeted me.

"Yep, I sure am," I said.

"I'm Marilyn. This stuffy goober coming towards us is my husband, Cayson."

She thumbed at a man walking toward us.

"Excuse my loony wife. She's nuts," Cayson said.

He extended his hand to me. Damn. They're something else. A girl bounded into the room.

She said, "And I'm Jonas."

The girl extended her hand as I shook it. She had an unusual name.

"Come in. You're letting all the heat escape," Cayson said.

He closed the door. I followed Grayson, who led me to the family room. He took my coat, and I took a seat on the couch. They all took a seat.

"So, Grayson said he met you at work," his mom said.

"Yeah, he's my boss and boring," I said.

Grayson's family looked at me in confusion.

"But I figure he enjoys being boring, so I made him fun," I said.

I blew a raspberry while making a hand gesture. Grayson placed his face in his palm as his sister giggled.

"Well, I don't disagree," his mom said.

"Mom!"

"Oh, Gray, will you lighten up? You're always serious," she said.

I like his mom already.

"Lucille, do you have plans?" Cayson asked.

"Well, I enjoy working, but my parents want to marry me off to the first poor slob that crosses my path. I'm contemplating beauty school."

"Oh?"

Cayson looked at me with surprise, as did Grayson.

"I enjoy doing hair. Every woman wants to feel pretty in their way," I said.

"I agree. There's nothing better than having a lovely hairstyle," Marilyn said.

"It's an honest career," Cayson said.

"A beautician is better than a bank robber," I said.

They stared at me dumbfounded.

"I'm kidding."

They started laughing. Geez, these people need to lighten up. At no point do I plan to rob a bank.

After talking for a while, I checked out the house. I noticed pictures of Grayson with his family. Okay, he was a cutie pie. Check out those cheeks. He smiled. Well, damn. He has teeth.

Two arms slid around me as Grayson laid his head on my shoulder.

"You were a cute baby. What happened?"

I turned and looked at him as he gave me an eye. I giggled. He pulled his arms away and looked at the pictures.

"Your family is groovy," I said.

"Yeah, they realize you're groovy yourself. Mom is already planning our wedding."

He smirked as I giggled.

"A beautician, huh?"

He gave me a sideways glance.

"I figure why not. The store is fine. I want more in my life."

"I agree. That's why I'm leaving after the new year."

I turned to Gray.

"What?"

"My dad invested in a company, and they were finishing the final details. The deal became completed. After the new year, I'll run it."

"Wow, that's amazing."

"I figure I needed something more if I ever want to have a family."

I looked at him. He reached down and took my hands in his. "I'm hoping I'll have that family with a special someone."

He gazed into my eyes. I pulled my hands away from his and wrapped them around his neck.

"If you play your cards right, you might."

I winked at him as he pulled me into a kiss. Grayson stirred feelings inside of me. Someone cleared their throat, and we stopped kissing.

"Dinner's ready," Cayson said.

I wiped off Grayson's mouth since he had lip gloss smeared all over his mouth. He slid his hand into mine as we walked into the kitchen.

We sat at the table, eating and talking. It's charming to see Gray interact with his family. They had a warm and friendly nature, joking with each other. They reminded me of my family and how I wanted my own to act. Although, when I had one, they would be nothing as I imagined.

While Cayson and Grayson talked, I talked to Marilyn and Jonas.

"I have to say, I'm glad that Gray met you," Marilyn said.

"Oh, yeah?"

"He seems happier than he's been in a long time. You should have seen him when you were sick. I haven't seen him that upset since he lost Marnie."

"Oh?"

"Oh, yes. I told Gray that if he cared about you, he needed to show you."

I sat there, not grasping that Grayson talked about me.

"I'm glad he listened to me," his sister said.

"About what?" I asked.

"I told Gray to give you flowers because all girls love flowers."

The roses I had received. Oh, my God.

"Excuse me," I said.

I got up and left them bewildered. I walked into the other room to find Grayson talking to his dad. I walked over to Grayson.

"Excuse me," I said.

I pulled Grayson into a kiss, wrapping my arms around his neck as he pulled me to him. Our lips moved in sync as I poured every emotion into that kiss. When we broke our kiss, I looked at him.

"You brought me the roses."

He looked at me.

"I didn't know. Why didn't you tell me?" I asked.

"I didn't want to scare you."

"You wouldn't have scared me. Why?"

"Because I'm in love with you."

My heart exploded at his announcement. Grayson declared his love for me, and I had no words for him. We stood there as his family looked at us.

What do you say to someone who tells you they're in love with you? I had all these feelings bursting inside me as I looked at him. Grayson had a way about him. No matter what, I couldn't deny my feelings anymore.

"I'm in love with you too," I whispered.

I peeked through my lashes. Grayson pulled me to him, capturing my lips with his own. As much as this relationship scared me, it excited me more. People think we are crazy, but I didn't care. Let them think we're insane. Hell, they already think I'm bat shit crazy.