Times are changing

Nate

While growing up with my brothers and other kids, life became chaotic. Patty George, who grew up kitty-corner from us, kept it somewhat sane.

I remember when I met her. Ma would drag us over to her house so that she could visit Mrs. George. She was this chubby little girl. Then Danny would come over to our house with Patting wanting to follow him.

Patty annoyed my brothers, but she didn't annoy me. She didn't bother anyone but wanted us to include her. But I instigated a lot.

When she broke my model car, I got angry. Since Patty's a girl, Dad would never allow us to touch her. He was adamant about not touching girls in the physical sense. He didn't learn what we did when the girl was a major bitch. Want to run your mouth? Suffer the consequences.

We aged along with the little girl. She became a teen and had changed a lot. When she would talk, she had an opinion that made sense. Plus, she would make me laugh. I found myself drawn to her in such a distinct way.

It wasn't until one night that I looked for her brother and observed her bedroom light on in her house. If anyone knew, it would be her.

I tapped on her window, startling her.

"Danny! I'll kill you!"

"Not Danny."

She glanced out of her window to find me standing there.

"Is your brother around?"

"Who knows? He's out with your brother or his friends."

"That's a compelling point."

"Do you always go around scaring people?"

"Do you always jump?"

"Only when I'm reading."

She held up a book to me.

"Stephen King's IT, which is a curious choice. I Didn't take you for a horror person."

"Well, I'm bored, and Danny lent me his copy. Shouldn't you be with some girl?"

"Meh."

"Nate, you're a fascinating guy."

"I try."

"Anything else?"

"Well, I'm bored."

She set her book down and leaned on her windowsill.

"What would you like to discuss?"

A smile curled upon my lips as I started talking to her. We talked for a few hours until she yawned. I let her go to bed and made my way home. I walked in as Ma came out into the kitchen.

"Where have you been?"

"I stopped by to visit Danny, but he wasn't home, so I hung outside. Night."

I headed to my room. I walked in, kicking off my shoes. As I got ready for bed, I thought about is mine and Patty's talk. She differs from most girls. She makes me laugh, whereas most irritated the piss out of me. Plus, my temper didn't help.

After that night, I went over to Patty's house. I tapped on her window, scaring her. I told her I was looking for her brother when I wanted to talk to her. I liked our talks. They were different.

The girls I would date always seem to have an issue with her. That didn't sit well with me. Patty was remarkable, and I didn't need their petty jealousy. I grew up with her, for Christ's sake.

When she turned fifteen, I kept my distance. I didn't need people to talk to or give her a hard time. I kept our talks friendly.

*****

Lucille

Nate would disappear many nights. Is he with another floozy? Nate's twenty-two and can't seem to settle down. He needs to get his shit together.

Since he didn't tell me anything, I talked to Joan. She would tell me what my boys were up to since they spoke to her. I stopped by her house, and we talked.

"Joan, can you help me with a minor issue I'm having?" I asked.

Patty came into the living room.

"Mom, will you tell Danny to stop giving me a hard time?"

"What's your brother doing now?"

"He's mad because Nate keeps stopping by and talking to me. It's not my fault Nate keeps coming by."

I sat there surprised.

"Should I worry about Nate coming over?"

"What? No. Nate is way older than me. Plus, Dad wouldn't allow it. It's not like I can date."

"I'll talk to your brother."

Patty walked out of the room.

"What did you need help with, Lucille?"

"I had figured it out. Thanks for the help, Joan."

I left, leaving her confused. That's where Nate has been going. Delightful. That gave me an idea. I sat on my porch. When I viewed Patty, I waved to her.

"You hoo! Patty!"

She looked at me. "Hey, Lucille!"

I waved her over to me. She looked before crossing the street. This street is full of assholes who drive like idiots. She came over to the house after crossing the street. I sat down in a chair as she took a seat on the steps.

"So, how are things?" I asked.

"Well, school is school."

"I've been thinking."

"About what?"

"You should date my son."

"Cayson? Yeah, no."

"Not Cayson, but Nate."

"Nate? Lucille, Nate is way older than me, and I can't even date."

"Well, how about when you do date, you date Nathaniel?"

"Why?"

"Because he needs someone like you that has an excellent head on their shoulders. You would help straighten him out. Keep him on the right path."

"That's a nice, unreal dream, but I have my eye on someone."

"Oh, okay."

Joan called for Patty, who got up, going home. I sat there, thinking. Nate and Patty would look good together. I had to figure out how to get them together. If I had my way, I'd get those two together. I need a likable daughter-in-law.

Heaven knows the current women whom Nathaniel dates are less than acceptable.