The next step

Lucille

I arrived at the police after fighting off the police and paramedics. They found out how bat shit crazy I am after I slapped their hands away from me. You never touch a pregnant woman. We are hormonal.

I marched into the police station with torn clothes and demanded to see my husband. They refused me entry, so I called my father-in-law. He arrived at the police station, walking inside as their tunes changed.

The officer took us to see Gray. He stood in a cell as I walked over to him. He saw me and furrowed his brows.

"Luci?"

"I'm fine, and so is the baby."

He let out a breath and started crying as he placed his head against the bars. I rubbed his head, comforting him. Cayson spoke with someone in charge. I don't know what Cayson said, but they opened the cell and released Gray.

He came out as I noticed his hand and wall.

"Gray."

"I'm angry. I'm worried about you and the baby."

"We need to take you to the hospital to assess your injuries."

He didn't argue with me because now wasn't the time.

Cayson took us to the hospital. Gray refused treatment until they examined me. He wanted the doctor to check if we were okay. Once the doctor checked me to ensure everything was fine, he checked Grayson's hand.

He fractured it badly between beating the hell out of Adam and the wall. I'm surprised he even still had a hand.

They wrapped it and gave him pain meds. He'll return in a few days for a cast.

We got home, and I got Gray settled before taking a shower. I wanted to wash the filth off of me. Someone who had put their hands on me without my permission made my stomach turn.

I cried as Gray wrapped his arms around me and held me. I'm not one to sit down and cry, but I couldn't help it tonight. Tonight, I felt dirty. Some asshole thought he would attack me. Never again.

*****

After that day, I couldn't return to the salon. I called my boss and quit. She understood. I enjoyed doing hair, but I didn't want to endanger myself or the baby.

Gray assured me we would figure it out, but I should stay at home. There's plenty of company because of our neighbors. Lilian came over, and I enjoyed her company. I also like that she didn't take shit from the kids, and they listened to her.

The neighbors are friendly people. They would check on me, and their kids would stop by the house. Knowing that I'm not alone when he's at work made him feel better.

As for Adam, the police filed no charges against Gray. Not when he tried to attack me and used a knife. They frown upon an attack when it involves a baby. What Gray did, they ruled self-defense, and what Adam did, isn't. Once he recovered from his injuries, he went to jail.

It seems I'm not the first person this happened to at work. The only difference is that I'm fortunate. He didn't sexually assault me as he had with other women.

As the months passed, the holidays came. Halloween is fun with the kids' trick or treating. I passed out candy with Gray. I'm seven months along, and the baby's active as always.

We carved pumpkins, and I made homemade pumpkin seeds to enjoy. It's one of our favorite things to do.

After Halloween, my family threw me a baby shower. They invited the neighbors. I got most of the items I needed for the baby. Gray bought the crib and put it up, not without his temper flaring.

He cursed and threw things. A neighbor stopped by, hearing it.

"Oh, dear," she said.

"Yeah, Gray has a temper."

"Luci!"

"What?"

"This is utter bullshit!"

"Yeah, well, our baby can't sleep on the floor, now can it?"

He bitched as I smiled. So he's dealing with a crib—big deal. I get to deal with housing a human for months. It all equals out.

Thanksgiving arrived, and I ran out of room. At some point, I'm evicting this little papoose from their current home. We had dinner with our families, and right afterward, I fell asleep on the couch. Turkey and pregnancy don't mix. You're already tired, and this adds to it.

Once Gray got me awake, he took me home. After we returned home, I went to bed. Yep, I'm that tired.

I couldn't wait to have the baby. I don't mind enduring the fun while carrying a tiny human inside of me, but I'm ready to have it. I say this because we didn't know if we were having a boy or girl. We guessed, but it's a fifty-fifty chance.

Christmas arrived, and I'm ready to pop. My due date is three days, and they're three endless days!

I'm cranky.

"Luci, the baby comes at its time."

"Gray, I have mood swings, nausea, floating around like a blimp, swollen knees, and no room at the inn. I do not need your reasoning."

I waved my finger at him. He looked at me as I looked at him. Yeah, try me, buddy. I dare you.

He didn't try it. Smart boy. We visited our parents' houses. Scratch that, they came to our home. The doctor recommended not to travel. Our parents live in the next city.

Gray made sure he followed the doctor's orders and didn't take me over to their house. How is it that my husband isn't a king-size tool for once? I'm still wondering myself.

He enjoys being a tool any other time, and I enjoy giving him hell. The Gray men possessed the tool trait. Ma Gray said if they wanted to be one, they would be one. She said their brain takes a siesta. Cayson had been as bad as his brothers Mark, David, and Allen.

I never met Cayson's brothers. From my guess, they're a rough bunch.

A Gray woman is remarkable since she puts up with their bullshit. Lucky me.

If this baby's a boy, there's no way I'd put up with him behaving like his father. I would beat some sense into him. I'll have my work cut out for me.

We got through Christmas. A hussy showed up at our door and gave a lame excuse why she needed to speak with Grayson. Cayson rescued Gray and told the woman to leave or he would make her. She stormed off, and he looked at Gray.

"Son, I'll tell you this once. Get your head out of your ass, or you can deal with them."

Cayson pointed at Ma Gray and me. We stood with our arms crossed.

Later on, Grayson pulled me aside. We argued, and I smacked him upside the head. I warned him. He doesn't freaking listen.

"Luci, I promise you. I am not cheating on you."

"Gray, I promise you. If I find out you're lying, I'll chop off your nuts. Do not fuck with me."

He gave me a horrified look as he covered his manhood.

"I believe you would."

Gray never cheated on me. Besides that one time at the bar, nothing happened because he didn't get a chance.

I found out that women like to stir the pot and cause trouble. Some men believe that bullshit. Most men don't have the time. Gray's unable to do so because he lacks the time.

If he's not at work, he's at home, where he belongs. People may call men whipped, but those people are dumbasses. It's called respect, you asinine tools. Look it up.

You want to get married, then stay married. Don't get married if you're going to waste your time catting around. Simple. Don't be an unfaithful prick.