Life with a toddler

Lucille

Life has been anything but dull since Nate joined our lives. That kid got into everything. The minute he became mobile, he was always into something. I spent more time chasing him than anything.

It looked like a bomb had exploded in the house. He also has a stubborn streak and a temper. Damn it, Gray. Nate is so his father's son.

I took something from him one time, and he threw one hell of a tantrum. Gray had to take him in hand. He's firm and stern with discipline because we would need it.

I hadn't got my pill refill yet, but Gray reassured me we had enough raincoats. Thank God. I had to wait for a new script until the doctor returned.

One night, we got crazy like a bunch of jackrabbits. Unbeknownst to us, the raincoat broke. It was not until we finished and Gray removed the raincoat that he found it failed.

I prayed to God that the broken raincoat didn't result in pregnancy. We had to wait and see.

*****

Grayson

Nate was in the cabinet when I got home from work one day. Dinner had burned, and I didn't see Lucille. I turned off the stove and picked up Nathaniel.

"Let's go find your ma."

I carried him, only to hear someone heaving. Well, shit.

I found Lucille in the bathroom, leaning over the toilet. It had been six weeks since that night that the raincoat broke. I didn't need to ask why she was sick. I already knew.

"Well, son, you'll be a big brother."

She flushed the toilet. She got up and rinsed her mouth out with water. Then she caught me standing with Nate.

"I won't ask."

"Good. I wouldn't if I were you."

She walked past me.

I drove her to the doctor's office to confirm her suspicions. I didn't have to figure out the answer. The doctor confirmed that baby number two would arrive in June the following year.

Luci's miserable because she's sick. Plus, having a toddler running around made for a tough pregnancy.

We dealt with Nate's temper. Yep, he has my anger. Let's hope the next baby is more laid back in temperament than Nate.

*****

Lucille

Once I got past the sickness, I became better. This pregnancy differed from the first one. I enjoyed it more.

We also celebrated Nate's first holidays and birthday, and the second baby is due the following year. I got pregnant in September. At least the weather would be warmer.

We also needed to find a larger house. I didn't know if Grayson realized someone's building a house across the street. They poured the foundation before coming to a halt.

He inquired about the unfinished house and found out the neighbors across the street from us owned it. He offered to buy the unfinished house from them, and they accepted.

He enlisted help from others and took the drawing he showed me, using the plans to finish building the house. Since they had already laid the foundation, he needed to build the rest.

He put much time into the house. I'd bring Nate over to inspect the situation. Gray wanted to make sure I didn't get hurt. I told him I was okay. He's such a worrywart.

The house wouldn't be complete until after the second baby arrived. He designed four bedrooms in the place and two-and-a-half baths. The house included a living room and a kitchen/dining room with a family room attached to the kitchen area. He also had an attached garage built next to the kitchen area.

At some point, the house would all be worth it.

*****

Grayson

I discussed one room with someone when Luci waddled over with Nate. Her due date is getting close. It's now the end of May, with her due in the middle of June.

I kissed her and picked up Nate.

"How's the house coming?" She asked.

"Slow."

"The house will get finished."

"It's weird how calm you're acting."

"Meh."

"You know our anniversary is coming up."

"Well, considering I'm as big as a house."

Luci gave me an annoyed look.

"Okay, how about dinner at home? I'll take a break from the house duties and spend the evening with you both."

"That's fine, and I don't want to cook."

"No problem."

I leaned down and kissed her. Nate put his hands over his eyes as we both laughed.

"One day Nathaniel, you'll enjoy kissing."

I chuckled as Luci rolled her eyes.

*****

Lucille

Our wedding anniversary arrived, and Gray kept his word. He brought dinner home for us, and we had something to eat while Nate ate his toddler food. Then a pain hit me.

I dropped my fork as another one hit, and he looked at me.

"Luci?"

A few minutes later, I became wet. Well, shit.

"My water broke."

He stood, then helped me up. He walked over to Nate and picked him up from his high chair.

We checked to see if our neighbors would take care of him until Gray called family. They agreed as he took me to the hospital.

Once we arrived, they took me to the delivery room. Gray found a phone and called his sister, Jonas. She said she would take care of Nate. Gray became grateful, returning the favor.

When I found out his favor, it would be one for the books. Oh, Gray, you twit.