The Original Gray Brothers and Patty

Patty

After I spoke to Nate, I didn't like him very much. He was this sweet guy, then became a complete ass.

If Lucille called me over, I made sure Nate wasn't home. When he came home, he would glare at me, making me uneasy. That made me go home.

I'll admit that I missed our talks, but I didn't miss them that much. Jonas would continue to call me Peppermint Patty, which I hated. On the plus side, some girl he was dating commented about me, causing him to tell her to knock it off. She mentioned something going on between us. Insecure much?

Cayson hung out with Danny and always gave me a hard time. It was nothing new there. It's your typical brother's behavior. I'm used to it since I grew up around boys.

As for Nate, I didn't understand his problem and didn't care. If he wasn't around, there's a calmness.

I still haven't talked to Brian. I tried, but my nerves always got the best of me. One day, I will, and it's going to be remarkable. Liz thought I was nuts.

It'll happen.

I checked the mail, and a car pulled into Gray's driveway with Nate getting out. He glared at me and walked into the house. Oh, yay. Nate's home.

I entered the house, dropping off the mail. I came out of the house and sat on the front steps with Dad. Nate came out all dressed up. I figure he has a date with a floozy. I need to quit hanging out with Lucille so damn much.

He pulled out and left. At that moment, I felt disheartened but brushed it off. Nothing would happen between Nate Gray and me. Plus, I set my sights on someone else. I needed to work up the courage to talk to him.

*****

Today is Saturday, and I hung out with Liz. Since I don't get many Saturdays off, I wanted to use it the best way possible. Seventeen and a senior in high school was a new stage in my life.

I attended school all day and worked part-time. I was stashing money away for school. Since a college accepted me, I got a tuition grant and scholarship to help. I wanted to pay for the rest. I would pick up extra shifts to make money when I could.

It also helped because I was single, and it was not like guys were beating down my door. Let's see, there's Nate, who hates me, and I hate him. Brian, whom I got tongue-tied when I spoke to him. Then a guy at the store kept trying to ask me out. I didn't like him and told him. It didn't stop him from harassing me.

Yep, I'm not very good with the guys.

I hung out with Liz since I had nothing else going on, and Mom gave me an errand.

"Patty! I need you to take these books to Lucille!"

Why? Why me? Why do I have to go? Why can't Danny do it? Is this woman aware of what occurs when I visit the Grays? Nate glares me to death. I have to deal with Jonas and his stupid nickname. Cayson says something dumb to me.

Today would change everything.