Chapter 1

Desperation. I've become too familiar with this feeling. Facing a situation of total distress, I pace my breath to stop the numbness running through my body.

"Abby? Are you Ok?" My 10-year old sister looks at me with concern.

I swallow to be able to speak but with no luck, my voice comes out dry, "Yeah, why don't you find some glue or anything?"

Stressfully running my fingers through my hair, I look up to the ceiling.

I'm so dead.

Once Mrs. White comes back from her business trip, she'll want answers and another excuse to hate me.

I squat down to examine the damaged vase. It's broken into several pieces. Looking at it won't fix it, so I start gathering the larger pieces. More worried about Mrs.White's reaction, I wince in pain at a newly formed cut made with a glass shard.

My eyes start to water. I didn't know if it's cause of the pain or the fear. As my sister comes into the room, I try to wipe the useless tears.

"Abby, are you crying?" My sister's eyes start to water.

With anxiety, I try to shake off the shallow feeling inside of me, "No, never."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm offered a red apple, my stomach growls. I reach out for it. But before I can, I hear someone call out my name, and they knock the apple out of my hand.

"Abby, wake up already" I'm woken up with a great shake. It's Monday, the most dreadful day of the week, which always reminds me that my life is far from a fairy tale.

"Let me just decompose, I don't wanna" I pull the sheets over my head and make a cocoon with it.

"Get up Abby, you're in high school, act like a high-schooler." My sister pulls my arm dragging me out of bed.

"Come on, you have to do my hair, and I want to wear the pink ribbon you gave me." She hands me the ribbon and I take it. How many things have changed? I get up and start doing my sister's hair. Once I get dressed, we head toward the kitchen.

"What do you want to eat today?" I ask her while I put on my apron to start cooking.

"How about some eggs?"

"Sure, thing boss" I salute her.

I'm not an amazing cook, but I can cook simple things, which mostly consists of eggs. I guess my sister knows that very well; she only ever asks me for eggs. Jessica is very kind-hearted and always tries to be optimistic. And for a 10-year-old, she's tall, beautiful, and six more inches and she will be tall as me. She has the same gray eyes like mine, with the same burnt umber hair and slight beach waves. Her hair reaches her waist, while mine is just to my shoulders.

"How's the food, Jess?" I start to wash the dishes and turn around to see her reaction.

She forces a smile,"good".

I eye her suspiciously and take a bite from the eggs. I find myself running toward the sink and spitting it out. Salty. I rinse my mouth on the sink and immediately turn around to my sister,"Jess, what- why- just don't eat that." I take what is leftover from the plate and throw it out. A rough start like always, I sigh," Let's go."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Always depressed like a wet mongoose" A girl leans beside my locker.

"And how would you know how a wet mongoose looks like if you have yet to see one." I close my locker and we start walking to class.

"Don't need to. I have you to show me," Lura teases me. Lura is 5'9 girl with a nice honey tan, and light brown hair, with wonderful hazel eyes. She is the type of person to talk and greet everyone in the hallway, this girl can have a deep conversation with a pole or the president. She's about the only girl who takes the time to have a proper conversation with me.