Lainey - Brightest Star

Start from the beginning

"There's no drama Mom. It's just dinner."

"If it makes you happy ..."

"It makes me happy. Thank you." I kiss her on the cheek.

I head back out with water for Cory and some orange juice for myself.

"I can't believe you have to ski down that mountain as fast as you can. I would be terrified. Are you nervous?" I ask, handing him the water. We look out the window at the snow-laden Olympic Village anchored by the majestic mountain.

"No, I'm not nervous. I'm not as prepared as I'd liked to be," he says.

"Do you want to talk about it?"

"There's not much talking can do at this point."

"I'm a good listener."

Mom interrupts as she enters the dining room with the tray of lasagna. "Dinner's ready."

"I'm carbo-loading for tomorrow's competition. It's the team short program," I say.

"Looks delicious!" Cory says. He helps my mom with the tray and pulls a seat out for her. She looks impressed.

"Thank you," she says, as she takes a seat.

He then pulls a chair out for me and sits down in the chair next to mine.

"May I serve everyone?" he asks.

"Of course," my mom says. She looks at me and gives me an approving glance.

We all dig in. It's been a long day. I'm grateful for the company tonight. It helps keep my mind off the competition. Through the years, I've found it helps to just relax the night before competition and clear my head.

Following dinner, I ask Cory if he will walk with me around the Village.

"Are you sure? It's pretty cold out there."

"I'm sure. I want to see the stars before I go to bed. It's kind of a tradition the night before a competition."

I bundle up in my winter clothes, including my Olympic hat. "Do you want to wear a different hat?" Cory asks.

"Oh right, I forgot," I take off the Olympic hat and replace it with a simple blue one. Security warned us to not wear our Olympic gear when walking around. The terrorism threat is still very high.

We head out into the bitter cold. Cory offers his arm. I take it. We walk through the Village and find a nice spot sheltered by trees, which helps block the wind a bit.

I look up to the sky. "You know the phrase Dog Days of Summer?"

He nods.

I point to a star. "Well, that star, which is considered the brightest star in the night sky, has the nickname Dog Star. It's part of the Canis Major constellation, which means Greater Dog, but it's also believed that each summer when it rises in conjunction with the sun that it helps create the sweltering Dog Days of Summer. A trivial fact, I know."

"I always thought it had to do with actual dogs. You have now taught me something. Thank you."

"You're welcome."

"I wish we had some of those dog days right now." We both laugh.

"So you like astronomy?" he asks me.

"I do. It reminds me there's more to life than just ice skating. There's an entire universe out there that doesn't care if I come in last. Or do a triple axel in competition."

"Are you worried about your triple axel?"

"My mom and my coach don't want me to do it in competition. They're worried I won't land it properly and it will ruin the rest of my routine."