≈ s e v e n t e e n ≈

tiiiiiime ~skip~

brynn's pov

"You're driving up?" I ask incredulously, balancing my phone on the sink as I pull my hair up into a ponytail. It's the last class before Thanksgiving break, and Kenzie's been excitedly waiting for this break because of the party that she's been planning. Anxiously counting down the days is something she's been doing, and I haven't. That's how it's always been, Kenzie the party-er, wild child, and me, the more reserved and responsible one.

Kenzie scoffs over the phone. "Yes, honey, I'm not a baby. I can drive safely...by myself."

"No, it's not that," with a laugh I clarify, "I just can't believe you're coming up already. Didn't school get out just yesterday?"

"Exactly! Why would I wait longer?"

Shaking my head, I can't help but smile. "You're crazy."

"And you love me for it," Kenzie's peppy voice reminds me. "And at this party, I'm gonna make sure you unwind a little bit too. You need a little more crazy in your life."

To me, going to college and starting to date my childhood crush and Kenzie's older brother, is enough crazy for me. "What do you mean by 'unwind a bit'?" I can't resist asking. "What are you expecting me to do at this party?"

"Hmm, I don't know exactly. Well, at least have a few drinks, kiss Carson in public without turning bright red—"

"Hey!"

"Am I wrong though?" Kenzie giggles. "We gotta find a solution to your blushing problem."

I huff, pretending to be offended, but I know she's right. It's embarrassing how easily Carson can make my cheeks light up, but I almost can't help it. The effect he's always had on me is still there...making my heart rate pick up speed whenever he just looks at me in that way. "Well, anyways," I move off the topic, "I gotta get to class, but I guess I'll see you in a couple hours. Can't wait!"

"Yup, you bet. See you then."

~~~

"Woah, is that all for the party?" My mouth drops open at the pile of drinks on the floor of the kitchen, still in their boxes.

Carson reaches down and rips open a box. "Maybe...minus a drink or two we could have right now."

"Nooooo," I laugh. "It's 3 in the afternoon, there's no way we're drinking now."

Pulling out two cans, Carson comes over to the barstool next to me at the counter and drops his arm around my shoulder. "Hmmm, I think you're just a little scared to drink, huh?"

As I look up at him, my breath hitches at our close proximity, but I hold my ground. "It's not that. I promise I'll try something later on...but right now? Come on, Carse."

"'Come on' yourself, B. You'll like it."

I raise my eyebrow at him. "Will I? I already know what it tastes like. It's disgusting."

"Have some fun, baby," Carson pleads, pinching my cheek.

"You're such a bad influence on me," I tease.

For a moment, he pauses. Then, smirking, he leans closer, "Am I?"

And with that, his lips are on mine.

We only pull away at the sound of someone knocking loudly at the door. It's Kenzie, I remember, and jump up to get it. "That girl, always ruining our moments," Carson calls after me jokingly. I laugh, and quickly run a hand through my Carson-tousled hair. This man will be the death of me.

"Hi, stupid, what's up," Kenzie greets me affectionately, throwing down her duffle bag on the floor and flopping down on the couch. Glancing back at Carson, I see him putting the beer cans back. Thank God, I honestly didn't really want to drink right now. It's not that I don't ever want to, or that I'm a purist, but...I guess I can admit I'm a little bit 'scared'.

"Well, nothing much," I sit down next to Kenzie and prop my feet up on the coffee table. "I'm finally on break now, so I just have to finish a paper tonight, and then I'll be done." Carson comes over, sitting on the coffee table across from me and tickling my feet. I kick him and he jumps up, laughing. Kenzie rolls her eyes at us.

Seating himself next to me on the couch, Carson kicks his feet up onto Kenzie's lap and she slaps his ankle. When she realizes he doesn't seem to be moving anytime soon, she groans. "I didn't come here to be harassed by you," she informs him. "But you know what I did come here for?"

"What?" Carson and I ask, laughing.

"A party. Which is not happening right now, because my stupid smart best friend wants to do her homework tonight instead of procrastinating the day before the deadline." Kenzie crosses her arm and lets out a huff.

Patting her arm sympathetically, I feign regret. "Oh, darling, I'm really sorry that I'd rather not have that stress in my life, and would like to be a responsible adult."

"You must be the teachers pet," she sticks out her tongue at me playfully. I wink back at her, mouthing, 'shh, don't tell.'

Carson reaches across me to poke his sister. "Is it just me, or has Kenzie gotten ten times more sassy since you left? She needs a little more chill."

"Um, no. What I've been telling Brynn is that she needs a little more wild in her life." She makes a pointed glance at me.

I roll my eyes. "I really don't."

"Wait, no way." Carson sits up and his eyes widen. "That's what I was just telling Brynn. I think you and I have finally found something we agree on." They high five each other, and I give Carson a look. He laughs, kissing me on the cheek. "Hey, you know I still like you a lot, even if you're a little scared to try new things."

Pretending to be honored, I laugh. "Well, thank you. And I still like you both, even if you're just a little wild too."

Kenzie giggles, hugging me. "I'm glad we established that."

"And," Carson adds, "You will be drinking this Thanksgiving break."

"Alright then." I shrug. "We'll see how that goes."

~

~

~

q: in a friendship, do you tend to be more then wild kenzie? or the more responsible brynn?

for myself, i'm def more a brynn lol. in many, many, ways, it's a good thing ;p don't be peer pressured, kids, carson being a bad influence on her may have its effects later on...hahahahahaa

also why r they kissing so much in this book ew i'm sorry