≈ t e n ≈

brynn's pov

"Here, grab the burgers while I unlock the door." Carson hands me the paper bag with our food and reaches into his pocket to get the keys.

"How's Meika doing?" I ask, casually, shifting the bag from one hand to the other.

"Good." Carson gets the door open and I follow him inside. "She-uh, she's good. We can't really talk very often because she's really busy."

"That's good." I say, but then freeze and cover my mouth with my hand. "I mean, that's not what I meant."

Carson laughs and takes the bag from me. "That's fine, I get what you're saying."

We take seats at the island counter and he takes out our burgers.

"Hungry?" He asks as he hands me mine and pulls out our fries.

"Starving."

We eat quickly, laughing over his dumb stories. After we finish and clean up, he gets out his guitar and we settle on the couch in the living room.

"Okay," Carson breathes in slowly and exhales. "Here goes."

I smile, leaning back on the couch and watching him. He's always been into music since we were younger, and his voice always got all the girls, even though he wasn't "girl crazy" back then.

People say one way to make someone fall in love with you is to serenade them...well, I've been in love since he used to play for me and Kenzie when we were younger.

My heart flutters even as he just plays the first opening chords. Not to be dramatic or anything, but I could almost have fainted when he started singing. Something about singing guys is just so attractive...okay, enough gross lovers word vomit.

"It's been way too long
Feel like two years or something
What you got going on?
What you been up to lately?"

He winks at me, and I smile back.

"To be honest with you I've been thinking 'bout you daily
Daily, lately
To be honest with you
I've been thinking what it'd sound like if I called you baby
If I called you my baby."

Wait what? I freeze, looking up at him. His facial expression doesn't change as he looks back at me.

"I don't mind telling you all my deepest secrets
And I don't mind spending on you
Long as you keep it between us
You could have it your way
Give me all your time
Promise, you'll get mine if you
Let me take you away
Baby, don't change when I have you always
You could have it your way
Staring deep in your eyes and I won't give up to you."

He looks at me with an expression I can't read, and I do my best to maintain my normal facial color.

"Let me take you away
Baby, don't change when I have you always."

He goes on, and my heart rate doesn't slow down. What is going on?

"You shine bright
You're like a shooting star in the daylight
And you might not do everything perfect
But it's just right
These feelings, we can't fake it
This trust, we never break it
Girl, it's all your way
Long as you keep it between us."

I smile and clap as he finishes, and he grins.

"What do you think?"

I'm at a loss for words for a long second. "Th-that was amazing. You're i-incredible."

"Am I?" He winks and sets his guitar down. Leaning back, he laces his fingers together behind his head and asks, "Really, what did you think?"

"Just that," I nod, and then nervously attempt, "D-did you really write that song for...me?"

"Yeah," he shrugs casually, studying my face.

"O-h. Well, it's really good."

"So you like it?"

I nod, blushing. "Of course."

"Ever played guitar?" He asks, shifting over so he's closer to me.

"No," I shake my head. "I played piano for a year or so, but I quit."

He laughs, rolling his eyes. "Oh yeah, I remember."

Furrowing my eyebrows, I demand, "What do you remember?"

"There was this one time I remember I was over and you were screaming bloody murder because you didn't want to go to your piano lesson."

I color, pursing my lips. "Hey, that was a while ago."

"No, honey, you're still a baby."

"Your baby?" I ask suddenly, stealing a line from his song, but startled by my own boldness.

"Sure," he grins and scoots closer to me.

UhM ok...I sit up and run my fingers through my hair as I attempt to ask normally, "How do you even remember that?"

"Darlin, you scarred me for life with those screams."

"Did I?" I raise an eyebrow and laugh.

"Here." Carson reaches over and puts his guitar in my lap. "Try it."

I throw the strap over my shoulder and try to put my hands in the right place.

Carson gets off the couch to sit on the coffee table in front of me and reaches over to put my fingers in the right place.

"G chord." He hands me the pick and nods for me to try to play it.

It sounds horrible. I laugh awkwardly, and Carson puts his fingers gently over mine to move them back into place.

I try it again, and it doesn't sound as bad. "See? Not bad."

I nod, but I can't speak. His face is inches away from mine. As he looks up, our eyes meet, and my heart beats too fast for me to properly breathe.

His eyes flicker down to my lips, and back up to my eyes, and I swallow hard. His hand moves up to brush some hair away from my face. He's breathing hard too.

Carson's eyes drop, and his eyes catch on my necklace. His fingers brush the skin above the neckline of my camisole as he lifts the little charm. My skin feels like it's on fire.

"What's this?" He says in a low voice, not moving from the close proximity as he fingers my necklace.

"Kenzie gave it to me," I attempt to say, but it can only come out as a whisper.

"It's nice," he says, dropping it, and stands up. The tension drops shatters, and I can breathe a little easier.

What the heck was that.

I lift the guitar from my lap and place it onto the couch next to me. Carson moves into the kitchen to get some water, and an awkward and heavy silence settles down.

"I guess I'll...go now." I attempt, rising.

"Okay." He says quietly, turning from the fridge, running a hand through his hair.

"See you?"

He nods, and I quietly leave his apartment.

~

~

~

~

~

~

~