≈ f o u r ≈

brynn's pov

The rest of the campus tour last night was awkward, Carson more distant, and me more quiet.

I felt bad about mouthing off to him. I mean, what place did I have to tell him what to do? But again, what he was doing definitely wasn't right.

He said he had multiple exes. Meaning he's dated a lot of people....and broken up with them. He used to be the kid parents wanted their sons to be like when they got older. Now he's the epitome of a bad boy.

There's still a week until class starts, and I don't have much to do. I finished unpacking all my stuff earlier, and I didn't bring much to "decorate" my dorm room either, so I finished pretty quickly. I'm taking a dance class later today at a dance studio downtown LA, but other than that, I'll be bored till next week. I don't think I'll be able to face Carson again, so there's no option of hanging out with him. Kenzie will expect a report of what happened, too.

Reluctantly, I crawl out of bed and grab a pair of leggings and a sports bra from my drawer. Maybe while I'm working out I'll figure out what to do.

After I change, I jog to the gym. I show them my student ID, and they let me in. The gym here is enormous. I'm warmed up from the jog here, so I decide to start with the weight room.

There are a couple other people inside, but they all have earbuds in, and no one pays attention to me. I pop my earbuds in and start with some planks. Then I move into the weight section, selecting some to do squats with, and others for simple curls.

"Hey."

I look around to see a well built, cocky looking, college kid. He looks down at me, smiles, and states, "I need one of those for my workout."

I smile back. "That's nice."

His smile disappears. "Are you going to give it to me?"

"Uh, no. There are plenty of other ones. Besides," I say, looking at his toned arms, "These are the lighter ones. Someone like you should be lifting heavier ones, anyways."

"Someone like me?" He raises his eyebrow at me with a smirk, and flexes his arms more. "Actually, I need those smaller ones for one of the steps of my strenuous workout. I can demonstrate for you, if you'd like." He proceeds to show me one of his exercises, and I stand there, amused.

"Okay, that's nice." I start walking away, but suddenly there's a rough hand on my shoulder, and it turns me back around. I glare up at the guy, pursing my lips. 

"What."

He nods to the weight in my arm. "Come on, give it over."

"No." I repeat indignantly. "You can't just take it."

His eyes narrow, and he tightens his grip on my shoulder.

I shake my head in disbelief. "I can't believe this is happening. You're such a brat, you can't even wait for me to be done? What happened to being a gentleman?"

"What happened to 'women deserve equal treatment'?" he counters, and I let out a laugh of disbelief.

"Excuse me?" 

"Hand it over," he repeats.

I glare at him fiercely. "Take it from me. I dare you."

"Yeah, I dare you," I hear someone behind me say. I recognize that voice, and my heart skips several beats. "Try to take it and I'll beat your face in."

My mouth opens and I quickly shut it again. The guy glares at Carson, but releases my shoulder, cursing under his breath.

"Apologize. That's no way to treat a woman." Carson says. I avoid the urge to turn and look at him, but I'm shaking.

The guy glares even more, and starts to walk away, but Carson repeats himself, his voice cold and hard. "Apologize."

"Fine, I'm sorry. Geez." The jerk mutters more under his breath as he stomps away.

Shakily, I turn around and give him a forced smile. "Uh, t-thanks, you didn't need to do that."

He shakes his head. "Uh, yeah, I did. Be honest with yourself, Brynn."

I bite my lip and look down. "Thanks."

"Mhmm." Carson starts to walk away, and I quickly run after him.

"Ca-arson."

He stops and turns around, looking at me expectantly.

"I'm sorry...about yesterday. I-I guess I don't really have any place to try to tell you what to do." I look away and add quietly, "Even if I disagree with your choices."

"It's okay." Carson nods. "I'm glad you understand."

I shrug. Not really...but okay.

"Do you want to come over tonight? We're probably just gonna watch a movie or something. You can bring a friend if you want."

I laugh. "I don't really have any friends...yet...but sure."

"Okay, sounds good!" He grins and pats me on the shoulder. "See you then."

As he walks away, I take a shaky breath. Every time I talk to him, or even see him, I feel weak and powerless. He doesn't know how I feel, and he probably never will. Maybe it's for the best, seeing how much he's changed. 

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

a/n: unrealistic as heck but this is a fanfic so shh

and yes, it's been a while since i updated, and i'm sorry bt that.