≈ t h r e e ≈

a/n: sorry for not updating yipes. you know when you feel more like reading books on Wattpad than writing them? just me? ok. go back and review the last chapter if needed 😬

brynn's pov

"Isn't it cute?"

I turn around to see Carson standing there. He runs his finger along the edge of the photo and smiles.

"Meika made it for our six month anniversary."

I nod awkwardly. "Yeah, cute..." Then I add, "I didn't know you were dating anyone. Kenzie never told me."

I want to slap myself immediately after those words leave my mouth. I sound so jealous or thirsty or something.

Carson shrugs and chuckles. "I don't talk much to my parents or Kenzie anymore."

"Why is that?"

"I just don't. I don't need them anymore, ya know?" Carson leans on the counter casually, and I tilt my head sideways to look at him.

Carson was that sweet, loyal kid who loved their parents and would do anything for them. Somehow, I feel like that isn't how Carson actually feels. Or, maybe he's just changed a lot.

"Anyways," he breaks the silence, "Let's get going, shall we?"

~~~

"Wow. This place is amazing." My mouth forms a perfect 'o' as I stare at the enormous dance building.

Wide glass windows look into clean studios and stretch across the perimeter of the building. They overlook the quad, and I can't imagine what it'd be like to watch the sun set during class.

"Yeah. It's pretty cool, even for me, a non dancer." Carson chuckles and throws his arm around my shoulder. "So you've never been here before? Didn't you come to visit first?"

I laugh. "I saw pictures and stuff, but I've been occupied with competitions and everything so I couldn't come visit. I've been so busy recently."

Carson reaches into his pocket to grab his keys and locks the car. "Ah, I see. Does that mean you didn't have time for a boyfriend either?"

"Uh-h..." I stammer, surprised by his question. "I-I mean, not really."

"That's good."

I raise my eyebrows at him and my silly, naïve heart skips a beat. "Is it?"

"Yeah. You can't grow up too fast. You'll always be the little girl who used to run around in tiaras and my mom's heels with Kenz in my mind." Carson laughs as we make our way towards the building entrance.

I make a face, pretending to be offended. "Excuuuse me. I'm very grown up now."

"Nuh-uh."

Pushing him playfully, I glare at him. "I'm only a year younger than you."

"Sure, whatever." He laughs and pulls me closer to his side. "Anyhow, this is the dance building, but the Fine Arts center, with more dance studios and stuff is a couple blocks down."

"How do you know so much about this?" I demand as he holds the door open for me.

"I just do." Carson winks, and then finally gives in. "I looked it up so I could give you a proper tour."

"Aw, you didn't need to do that."

He shrugs and tucks his hands into his pockets. I have a strong urge to pull him into a hug, but I don't get a chance to, because Carson immediately moves on. Gesturing to the expansive and fancy lobby, he asks, "So, what do you think?"

My attention moves back to the building. I sweep my eyes across the area. "It's amazing." Taking a deep breath, I shake my head. "I can't believe that I'm going to be taking classes here for the next 4 years."

"Yup. You should see the library. It's pretty amazing."

We're interrupted by the arrival of several girls coming out from a class. Guessing from their attire, I'm guessing it was a Commercial class. Two of them spy Carson, and start whispering to each other.

"Let's go this way," Carson says, pulling my arm.

Another couple girls come over suddenly. Carson doesn't look too pleased at this.

"Heyy," a girl with a low cut t-shirt and tight leggings assails us...more Carson....with a flashy smile. "What's a guy like you doing here?" Her fingertips brush against his chest and I puke in my mouth.

Carson grins, seeming to enjoy the attention. He tucks his hands in his pockets and raises his eyebrows at her. "What do you mean 'a guy like me'?"

"Oh, you know, a-"

I purse my lips and tug Carson's hand. "We have to get going, sorry. Nice to meet you and see you around." Fakely smiling, I pull him away from them and down the hallway.

"What the heck? Why'd you make us leave?" Carson sighs.

"Excuse me?" My cheeks heat up and I glare fiercely at him. "What do you mean? Why did you WANT to day there? You're the one who wanted us to leave first."

"No," Carson rolls his eyes in exasperation. "I wanted to leave because one of the other girls was one of my exes. But these girls, they're harmless. They just want some fun."

I'm disgusted and confused. "One of your exes? And what do you mean fun? You have a freaking girlfriend, Carson."

Carson's eyes flash. "I'd appreciate it if you'd not get involved in my personal business. You're not my counselor. You're my little sister's friend."

I bite my lip, his words stinging, and look away, trying to keep from snapping back at him. Sadly, I shake my head and sigh.

"You've changed, Carse."

He shrugs. "So what? Change is good."

Not always. And definitely not in his case. Maybe the dream boy I loved as a kid is gone.

~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
~
A/N: k I looked it up and the dance building at UCLA isn't glass but just pretend it is ok 😂