≈ t h i r t e e n ≈

A/N: hii lol i unpublished this and changed something at the very end so look at that before going on

brynn's pov

"So tell me about everything back home." I say, grinning at Kenzie, sitting in the back seat. Carson drives in silence.

She laughs. "Gosh, where do I start?"

"School. Spill all the tea. What's Lexi up to nowadays?"

"Oh gosh, she hasn't talked to you at all?" Kenzie rolls her eyes. "She's such a drama queen. She literally told us she was pregnant, but then Maisy exposed her for lying."

"Speaking of drama queens," Carson speaks up suddenly. I look over at him and he looks like he's hiding a smile. "Listen to yourself."

"Oh, shut up," Kenzie rolls her eyes. "You know you missed me."

"Anyways," he starts again, "What are you planning on doing here besides gossiping with Brynn?"

"I'm here for a college visit, of course," she laughs as if it was a silly question.

"We all know why you're here," I reach into the back seat to poke her. "Starts with a b and ends with an oys."

We all laugh, Kenzie pretending to be offended.

"Do you remember when we would just chill in the tree house out back like this?" Carson muses, as our laughter dies down. "We didn't have a care in the world. We were the power trio everyone wanted to be."

"Before stuff got complicated," I mutter under my breath, only loud enough for him to hear. He looks at me, and we lock eyes before he looks back at the road.

"Yeah," he agrees.

"Um guys, isn't it true that there's some carnival or something this weekend?" Kenzie interrupts, handing her phone to me. "Look."

"Yeah, I heard about it too." Carson nods. "Wanna go?"

"Why is that even a question? Once we get to your apartment, I'll unpack and then we'll go, okay?"

"Wow, okay, miss. Thanks for scheduling our night for us." I roll my eyes playfully.

Kenzie gives me a satisfied grin. "No problema. Oh, also!"

"What?"

"Can Brynn sleepover with us just for the weekend!" She asks, putting her head between the two front seats and putting on her saddest eyes.

"For what?" Carson asks, almost defensively.

"Yeah, I'm probably gonna have stuff to-"

"Nonsense," Kenzie slaps me lightly. "Okay, please, Carse? Pretty please with sugar on top!"

"Okay, fine," he gives in. "But I don't want to be woken up in the middle of the night to check your closet for a clown because you watched a scary movie at 2 am."

I laugh. "Hey, that was like 4 years ago."

"Omg yeah," Kenzie giggles. "Then we made you sleep in our room because we were so scared."

"Yeah, that's not happening this weekend."

"But Brynn will sleep in your room even if, righ-"

"What?" Carson and I both demand at the same time.

"The same room, not in the same bed, of course, you dirty minded children," Kenzie scolds, winking at me. "Clearly, you both had the same thing in mind-"

"Kenzie!" I scowl at her, and Carson shoots her a dirty look through the mirror, but we're both too embarrassed to say anything else.

~~~

"The boys should be here soon," Carson says, pulling into the one parking space we could find in the crowded carnival parking.

"How many?" Kenzie winks at me jokingly, and I roll my eyes.

"Geez, Kenz," Carson shakes his head at her.

"I'm kidding, duuuhh," she protests, pretends to be offended, "You're no fun."

"Oh, and Annie's coming too, right?" I ask.

"I think so."

"Let's get out and start going," Kenzie whines, unbuckling and reaching for the door.

"Nuh uh," says Carson, locking the car. "You're so impatient."

"I am!" She huffs, crossing her arms and sitting back in her seat.

Carson makes a face at me, and I almost smile back. As I move my gaze away from him, I watch as another car pulls into the spot across from us.

"Oh look, there they are!" I point as Hayden waves to us through the window.

"See! You should have just let me get out," Kenzie sticks her tongue at Carson and hops out of the car.

"Hey, guys!" Hayden waves at us as he climbs out of the car, followed by Johnny and Annie. We wave back.

"You must be Kenzie," Annie says, giving her a hug. "So cool to finally meet you!"

[a/n: lol love how Annie's older than Kenzie oops]

"Well, you've already met Hayden, so Johnny's the only one I don't think you've met yet." Carson says, coming up behind her. "And Hayden and Annie are taken, so there's only one boY."

Kenzie's face turns red. "What?"

"Mmm, I don't know," Carson says innocently, winking at me as I try to hide my laughter.

"Ok, then," says Johnny, who looks both amused and embarrassed, "Let's go eat some food and have fun!"

We all head into the main grounds and Annie insists on buying cotton candy and popcorn first before we go on any rides.

"Here." Annie hands me a bag of Skittles with my popcorn. "This is yours. Want anything to drink?"

"No, thanks. Geez, when did you become the mom?" I laugh.

Annie mimicks a mom voice. "Food is important, sweetie."

"Now rides!" Kenzie insists, tugging on my arm.

"We have to go in pairs," announces Hayden, "Because we probably all don't want to go on the same rides."

"Maybe we do?" I suggest, knowing who they're gonna assign as pairs.

"This is a triple date." Annie says, pointing to all of us. "Hayden and me, Kenzie and Johnny, and Brynn and Carson."

Carson's face turns noticeably red, even under the dim carnival lights, and I cringe. But I decide to speak first.

"We're not a couple."

Hayden laughs. "What do you meaAn, 'We'Re NoT a CoUplE?'"

Making my voice flippant and nonchalant, I laugh. "He's like my older brother. Nothing more. Just siblings.

I bite the inside of my cheek self consciously as everyone starts looking at us. Carson says nothing, his expression seemingly unchanged. Kenzie's eyes seem to widen slightly and she shoots an eyebrow up at me.

Annie forces an awkward laugh. "Of course. We were just kidding. I mean, Johnny and Kenzie aren't a real couple either. We'll just go in pairs."

"Right." I smile, and follow the rest of the group over to the ticket machine.

This will be fun.

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

~

i freaking edited this and the changes didn't save so it's not as good grrr