≈ o n e ≈

brynn's pov

"Name?"

The lady looks down her glasses at me, her wiry gray hair wisping out of the tidy bun fixed at the name of her neck.

"Brynn Rumfallo." My hands clasp together in front of me, and I look nervously around at the campus, bustling already with lots of activity.

Carson told me before that freshman check in, the week before the first day of school, was a scary thing. He wasn't kidding. The people behind me in line chatter loudly. As an introvert, I'm not too comfortable here, standing alone. I feel vulnerable.

"Alright, Ms. Rumfallo, we're going to verify some information now." The lady runs her finger down the clipboard on the table. "Where are your parents? You need them to check in."

I play with the straps on my backpack. "Th-they signed a waiver. They couldn't be here, so they faxed in an application. It should say that there."

"Hmm," she opens a folder next to her. "Ahh, yes, I see that now. Can I have you sign this here?"

I take the pen she hands me and sign my name carefully on the line.

"Thank you. Now what are you majoring in here at UCLA?"

"Dance, with a minor in expositional writing." My hands shake a little bit.

I wish my parents could have been here. They had an important meeting, and so here I am, by myself, getting myself settled in college.

The lady nods and proceeds to check some little boxes on the sheet of paper.

"What is your birthdate?"

"July 1, 1998."

"And your parents names?"

I answer mechanically, waiting desperately for her to finish what feels like an interrogation. Finally, she does.

"It all looks good, Ms. Rumfallo. I trust you attended the Freshman Orientation last week?"

"Yes, ma'am."

The lady pulls out a folder out of a large file box and hands it to me.

"You look all set and ready to go. Your dorm is Delaware, right across the quad here. Have a wonderful year!" She finishes cheerily, and I wish I felt as she does.

"Th-thanks," I stammer, and push my way back through the lines of people stretching across the green, waiting to check in.

Next task for me is to check into my dorm and unpack my stuff. I make my way back to the parking lot and get into my car.

My phone rings, and I jump, being on edge from nerves.

"Hey, Kenzie."

Kenzie's cheery voice cheers me up, but also makes me depressed because I miss her already.

"Hey, Brynn, how are you? Did you check in already? Are you surviving? Has anyone talked to you yet?"

Thank God for my best friend, making sure I'm okay. I'd probably die without her. I'm already dying because she has another year in highschool before she joins me here.

"I'm so scared." I admit. "I wish my parents could have been here."

"Hey, I have an idea." I can feel her energy through the phone, and I smile slightly.

"What?"

I put Kenzie on speakerphone, and start the car. Then I pull out of the parking lot and head towards the dorm building.